Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unique Barbecue Light

Hi Everybody,
Just wondering if anybody has installed this fixture? I am unable to find the specs for it on the Unique website and was hoping someone here knows the exact size of Core drill bit to use for the installation?
Thanks

Ken
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ken are you talking about the hubble mount or the Endeavor type tall area/bbq light ? We have used the endeavors quite a bit with good results and have used a couple of hubbles also with good results but I cant recall the core size. The granite guys cut it for us
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Billy,
I would like to install the Hubble and on the website it does say at the bottom that the PVC is 1 and quarter inches but I would like to know for sure before drilling commences.

Did the Endevour provide lots of light towards the cooking surface in your application?

Ken
Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It really depends on placement. It was more a wide diffused light. Generally the endeavor would be placed somewhat behind the cooking area or to the side of it and creates some shadows. I try to place a downlight or a flex arm bbq light near the grill and place it on a switch when I can.

My own grill has an mr8 above it which works quite well. Another we hit an outdoor kitchen out of the trusses with a 20w 12 deg from about 15 ft up. Worked well too.

Yet another time on a finished ceiling outdoor kitchen I put in 5 lightolier can lights with a small slotted trim that worked great for lighting up the kitchen

With the hubble you might get better placement but beware of putting your light in an area people would be swinging utensils or placing pans. Especially hot pans. Focus makes a flexible arm bbq light which works quite well. Do you have any type of structure from above in which to light from ?

Another note... I would have the hubble in hand and measure it BEFORE I drilled out a clients project. Errors or changes can be made to items and end up costing you a fortune in replacing a counter top.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ken I emailed you the installation details. If anyone else would liek to see them let me know! This Hubble is awesome!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joey thanks for the installation instructions as that helped in the final decision. The landscaper and concrete guy did not feel comfortable drilling out the hole so they wanted some other options. Personally I think it would have looked great. Maybe on the big one.

Billy, I too have installed a bullet light with the 20 degree up high and it worked very well. Between the customer and the picky but really nice landscaper we all have decided that a probe OSM on a seperate switch is going to do it. The pool cabana is right beside the barbecue so it will not be any trouble. Going to do this tomorrow morning.
Thanks for all of your advice as its nice to have options to present the home owners with. Happy customers are my marketing tools.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ken,
I did something similar recently. I mounted 3 Unique Crusaders up in the pergola.
1 shining onto the barbecue area and the other 2 at the stone fireplace. They are all controlled by a switch. I think it turned out great and the customer likes it.

Good Luck!
Keith
Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Sponsor

Installation Details.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Hubble Installation Steps 7-2-08 .pdf (291.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use alot of probe OSM fixtures. Great little fixture for downlighting with. I do wish the lower lip of the shroud came out about .75 inch to help with glare a litttle or that they offered it with a 360 shroud half way between the probe and quasar1.

Dont forget unique stocks thoes probes in powdercoated white if you have a painted structure and they come with white wire too.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Billy,

The installation went great today. The pool cabana was all done in an earth tone stucco so the weather brass colour was perfect. The aluminum guys did not finish the facia so it was a snap to install the fixture and run the wires. The hardest part of the installation was taking the single gang swich box out of the pool cabana wall and cutting in a double gang box. Took a bit of time to fish the wires down as well.
I installed the probe with an Ushio 20 degree with the clear lense. Since the fixture is installed at least 10 feet up, I do not think there will be any glare issues. The only thing that I am not happy with is I installed the Probe with the stratbracket instead of the sphere base but the customer did not mind at all.
I am heading back this evening hopefully before the rain arrives here and do the final adjustment. I will try and take some pics for you all.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Ken