Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

What are some dealers thinking these days?

I am looking at a Scag 19 kaw 48" tiger cat.A dealer told me today that he could put me in one for $8000.00 plus tax, like he was taking care of me. At a price this high I will not even try to work with him.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertb View Post
I am looking at a Scag 19 kaw 48" tiger cat.A dealer told me today that he could put me in one for $8000.00 plus tax, like he was taking care of me. At a price this high I will not even try to work with him.
I wouldn't work with him either. Sounds like he's trying to make all his money off of you. Local Exmark dealer is the same way. He wants nearly 13000.00 for a new model gas Exmark. I think if people wait till spring next year you will find that some prices have fallen and the financing options will be a lot better also.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am with you. I tried dealing with Scag dealers and they wouldn't come off there prices at all. This was last year when I was looking at the same mower but it was a Tiger Cub. I tried 4 dealers here in East Tenessee and they were the biggest sticklers and thought their poop didn't stink. The only price I could get was the msrp of 6999. Iasked them what they could do and they all said theat is non-negotiable and that is the price they sold them for. I found a demo unit in Ohio for $1000 less and didn't have to pay tax. I can't say anything good about the Scag dealers around here at all.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking I could get one for around $7000 out the door. Boy was I wrong, the dealers around here prices were $7400,$7800, and $8000 plus tax. Scags are great mowers but you have to draw a line somewhere.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I used a 800 series Deere demo when my 757 was being worked on and figured I could buy it cheap as a backup. The dealer had it out front for a year and a half and it had 150 hrs on it. I fthought I could grab it for around 6k out the door cause he had it so long and the 800s had so many issues with them. He quoted me 9k. Needless to say it's still sitting there three months later.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a close friend of mine, and no he is not a Scag dealer and he is all the time telling me how there is not the mark-up that you think. Usually, if you pay cash you can get about $200 off. If you are financing you can get about $100.00 off. However, for local Scag companies that is non-exitent.

This really burned me up. This was before prices went up last year. One Scag dealer had Scag Tiger Cubs from early in the year left over toward the end of summer last year. I know he had gotten them months earlier. He quoted me $7499.00 and said that Scag raised their prices. I looked at him and told him very nicely that i know better and know you bought those mowers months ago before Scag ever thought about raising prices and you just quoted me $600 less on the exact same mower a month earlier as it was still sitting outside. I guess he didn't remeber me. He just looked at me and didn't know what to say and fumbled over his words a little. Finally he said, "Oh, you are right that is one of our older ones.: I had a stupid $25 Honda gas can and a large spool of line in my hand. I didn't say anything and just put them back on the shelf and thanked him for his time. He lost my business for the Tiger Cub, and the 61" LC Turf Tiger I am in the market for now, plus all my blowers and trimmers. I guess the $20,000.00 of business and referals weren't important to him.

I am just being patient and going to wait and see if there are any sales or specials at the very beginning of the spring. Don't know if I will buy local b/c of this.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertb View Post
Must not be to worried about making any sales.

My dealer here in west KY. quoted me a Wildcat 61in. 26lc Kaw. for 8500 out the door today.Scag does have rebates on some models now through the end of the year. Might mention that and see where it gets you.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If there is not a 15-20% markup on equipment and 40 plus% markup on parts they would not be in buisness. You are not going to stock something that cost 8000 for $200 profit no way I would bet full retail is at least 25% markup which I am willing to pay if the dealer takes care of me but I wont buy parts at that markup.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will not say he is high or reasonable. What I will say is that a good dealer can be a great asset. If he really will take care of you after the sale then that is worth a lot.

One thing that I have learned is that some dealers are like lawn companies. They price themselves out of the business because they want to sell but then cannot afford to stock necessary parts. I will give a little more money if I find a dealer that has parts and gives timely service. I also like to meet the "middle man" that the dealers use. I have my dealers numbers and the "middle mans" phone numbers on my cell.

You my beat a price anyplace but it may cost you in the long run. If you have to skip several properties that is money you can never make back and heaven forbid if it cost you a client.

Just my thoughts on dealers and prices.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought the same thing when I was quoted almost $9000. for a turf tracer!!! 9 grand for a walkbehind?? What are these people smoking? I ended up buying a ferris 61" with 23hp kawi for around $6000. What makes that exmark cost $3000 more? That is absurd. I think its becasue the dealers and manufactuers know that we do pretty well in this business and they want their cut! Because they know we need these mowers so we will pay whatever they decide to charge? Their profit margin must be very high. All this bulls$%* about high material prices are lies, mild steel has been low for quite awhile now. It only spiked higher around the time oil was high, and wasnt high for long.