Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
New Mower Blades

Sorry if this question has been asked at one point or another. When you guys get new mower blades do you sharpen them before putting them on? They look a little dull to me and just wanted to see what everyone else does.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE's Avatar
MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: BEREA KY
Posts: 1,550
I do, razor sharp.....
__________________
DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE TO A POS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Mowbizz Mowbizz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salem NH
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked at one point or another. When you guys get new mower blades do you sharpen them before putting them on? They look a little dull to me and just wanted to see what everyone else does.

Thanks guys!


the answer is no
__________________
2004 Ford F250 ext. cab Lariat
EZ Dumper Short Bed Dump Insert 2009
Billy Goat Force 9HP Honda
Redmax EBZ8001 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS90 string trimmer
Stihl Kombi 130 System w/cultivator/trimmer/edger/power brooms
SnoWay 29 series 8ft plow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 AM
esparzalandscaping esparzalandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 85
depends on the manufacturer of the blade... for example, Stens blades for come pre sharpened but Oregon blades don't...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Bob_n_weave's Avatar
Bob_n_weave Bob_n_weave is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
Posts: 375
I do not sharpen new blades. I do check the balance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:31 AM
AmGreen AmGreen is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 319
why would you? a razor sharp blade will dull much faster than one with a small flat area at the cutting point. call the manufacturer and ask them...i'm sure they know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
tacoma200's Avatar
tacoma200 tacoma200 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Southern Kentucky
Posts: 5,427
Nada cuts great out of the box
__________________
Exmark Lazer Z X series
Scag Turf Tigers W/Briggs Vanguards Velocity decks,
My friend Mark says: "The secret to a good cut is never looking back!" .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Oregon OEP Oregon OEP is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmGreen View Post
why would you? a razor sharp blade will dull much faster than one with a small flat area at the cutting point. call the manufacturer and ask them...i'm sure they know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Our blades are milled to approximately a .030" thick cutting edge(without paint). The paint does add to the edge but wears off quickly. The razor sharp edge does tend to curl under quicker and give a dull rounded edge much sooner than the "thicker" edge.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon OEP View Post
Our blades are milled to approximately a .030" thick cutting edge(without paint). The paint does add to the edge but wears off quickly. The razor sharp edge does tend to curl under quicker and give a dull rounded edge much sooner than the "thicker" edge.
I did buy Oregon blades so your suggestion is to just use them and let the paint wear off?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Oregon OEP Oregon OEP is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 142
That is what we suggest but some will take the paint off the milled edge before they use the blade.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.09613 seconds with 9 queries