Yes I have one 0 0%
Yes I have two 5 31.25%
No 9 56.25%
I don't have teeth anyway! 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do You CLENCH?

Here is a wierd but relevant topic. I had a dental appointment today and while there I told my dentist about two small bumps on the inside of my lower teeth. These are non painful bumps smaller than a pea but noticeable when I run my finger over them. They are near the front of my mouth about 2 teeth back from midline. I never really noticed this before but it initially concerned me.

He said not to worry they are a common thing called a tori. Say what? Torus mandibularis to be more precise and medical. He said that this is caused most commonly from CLENCHING. They are benign and don't usually don't cause problems. Its not cancer. It kind of came together then. It could be done in the sleep however I know for a fact that when I am on my Z I am constantly clenching when I hit any kind of a bump. 17 years of clenching on some rough lawns gave me an addition to my yapper. I am thinking of wearing a mouthguard next season.

I have put a picture in that I copied from the internet. Please know that this is NOT my Yap but some guy who posed for a picture of his tori. So I am asking you to check your YAP for any TORI's and report back. What the heck you got nothin better to do between leaves and snow!
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My dentist checks for those regularly. Another reason for regular checkups. I was grinding and clenching my jaw during the crap sleep I was getting the last few years. Now I ride the Ambien train and won't wake up for nuclear war.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chew gum!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Need more tongue action.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got those. Never new what they were. Cool
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I constantly chew gum when im working because I chipped the edge of my upper left canine when I was mowing in a pi$$y mood three years ago. Can't remember why I felt that way, but I can see it every time when I brush.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
JS46 22" walk-behind (wouldn't recommend)
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Husqvarna 130BT blower
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only clench she I'm around my wife
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED View Post
Here is a wierd but relevant topic. I had a dental appointment today and while there I told my dentist about two small bumps on the inside of my lower teeth. These are non painful bumps smaller than a pea but noticeable when I run my finger over them. They are near the front of my mouth about 2 teeth back from midline. I never really noticed this before but it initially concerned me.

Since this happened on the job are you gonna go for disability?

He said not to worry they are a common thing called a tori. Say what? Torus mandibularis to be more precise and medical. He said that this is caused most commonly from CLENCHING. They are benign and don't usually don't cause problems. Its not cancer. It kind of came together then. It could be done in the sleep however I know for a fact that when I am on my Z I am constantly clenching when I hit any kind of a bump. 17 years of clenching on some rough lawns gave me an addition to my yapper. I am thinking of wearing a mouthguard next season.

I have put a picture in that I copied from the internet. Please know that this is NOT my Yap but some guy who posed for a picture of his tori. So I am asking you to check your YAP for any TORI's and report back. What the heck you got nothin better to do between leaves and snow!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do clench and suffer bruxism. It also causes abfraction. That is the chipping away of the enamel at the base of your teeth (gumline), which causes tooth sensitivitiy. Other problems arising from clenching and bruxism are tmj, chronic headaches, sore neck shoulders, facial, and skull muscles, hungover feelings in the morning, feeling beat up and exhausted, etc. This is all because your jaw muscles that extend up your skull are always working at night and don't get the rest they need for recuperation.
I don't know if Tori are reverseable, but if you clench ask about getting fit for the NTI TSS appliance. It is a small and unobtusive bite guard that has saved me a lot of grief by quelling the above symptoms, and reducing the tooth/filling/crown wear, along with the repeated maintenance of those surfaces.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do I "clench" you ask? It depends solely on one thing....how big the doctor's finger is........