Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2000, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,<p>Please give the pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses of the machine you use. I need this information to help evaluate each so that I might make an informed decision in the purchase of one of the above. All help and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance any and all assistance in this matter.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 04:37 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have two of the 5 and I cast my vote for the Choppers. This is one of the few that keep making their machines better and stronger. DC's have Donaldson air filtering sytems, which I have not seen anything better. DC's have 4 oil filters, 2 for the hydraulics and 2 for the motor. One is a regular oil filter that cleans out most big stuff and then they have a Amsoil bypass filter that filters down to 1 micron in size to make their motors last longer. They have 2 oil coolers and the frame is guaranteed for ever. A lot of mower companies have gone to cast aluminum spindle housings including John Deere and Exmark which don't even have grease fittings. They are a lot cheaper to make, but can stretch under stress which loosens up the bearings causing them to fail with in 100 hours. In over 7,000 hours of total hours on DC's, I have never replaced a spindle bearing and they are all steel housings with grease fittings. If you get one, or anyone else has one, but aren't sure how to take care of it, I have a maintenance article on taking care of them on my website. A dealer in Maryland printed this article out and gives it to all new customers. <br>For Lazers benifit, never buy anything with Ex in the word. Ex means, used to be good, like an exwife. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is for Exmark!<br>I would suggest a Lazer Z with 60&quot; deck.<br>The Lazer is very stable, gives the best cut, and is easy to operate.<br>If your machine is purchased with a Kohler engine, an optional airfilter can be installed. The unit is the same design as the Dixie. Price $300. The filters will not need to be change for 300 hours. The Exmark used Mobile synstetic oil in the hydro system. Change after first 50 hours and then once per season. This is an easy project - 30 minutes. <br>My Lazer has 500 hours with no bearing problems, sorry Eric.<br>Estimated cost for Lazer with 60&quot; and 25 Hp Kohler with airfilter option and mulch kit. $8,000.<br>The choppers are a good machine, but are about $1,000 more.<br>You and your homeowner group would be happy with an Exmark.<br>Good luck Jeff
Old 01-23-2000, 11:29 PM

Jeff, I keep hearing the Exmarks have a better cut, but I haven't seen any proof. If your lawns look better than mine, please send me a picture of them. As I have said before, my dealer sells both Choppers and Exmark. Why would he use over 30 Choppers in his lawn service and no Exmarks if the Exmarks have a better cut and are $1000 cheaper. He is the one telling me that the Exmarks have the spindle problems and 500 hours is nothing on a commercial lawn mower, barely broke in. I have over 2,600 on my one Chopper with original bearings and my dealer has one with over 8000 hours on it with original bearings. This is what I am going by for information. I was just letting him know what I know about the subject. My dealer noticed me looking at a Lazer one day and said, you don't want one of them things. I said why. He said they don't hold up nearly as good and are a lot harder to work on than the Choppers. I have a lot of confidence in a guy that sells both and uses them also and has for 20 years. Now could you tell me what you mean by the best cut? How many different mowers have you had over the past years to make that statement. Page 7 on my site is a comparison picture of our lawn in the back ground compared to a Lazer cut in the foreground. Sorry Jeff, but that's all the proof I need. I can do better with my sickle bar mower than that.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-24-2000, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

UH, LET ME THINK,.............................................................................................. .................CHOPPER!
Old 01-24-2000, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Eric<br>Accuratelawn<br>Homer<p>I just want to take the time to thank you for your replies and to let you know that they are greatly appreciated. I would also request that you tell me some of the down sides of your machines. Each person speak for the machine they use, please. Thank you again.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-24-2000, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In our community, Dixie Choppers have been sold for 20 years. Lazer's have been on the market for 4 years. For commercial cutters, I would say there are maybe 300 Lazers in use and 10 Dixie Choppers. We have the same dealer for both and the Exmark outsells the Chopper by 80 to 1.
Old 01-24-2000, 02:41 PM

Lazer, that would be 30 to 1 if my math is right, you corrected my math last time, my turn now. <p>Doc, the down side of my Choppers is I had to spend $40 to have a intake manifold gasket put on my Kohler engine that now has 2,648 hours on it. My other Chopper with over 1,800 hours hasn't been back to the dealer. I have owned several John Deeres and I made several trips to the dealer with them, but I haven't checked out the new Z's. I don't like to buy a new model of anything until they get the bugs worked out.<p>Now lets see some Exmark posts from guys with a few thousand hours on them.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
Old 01-25-2000, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Lazer<br>Eric<p>Thank you both for your help. You each seem very adamant and devoted to your machines. I hope that some of you other professionals will speak for your machines also. Thank you all in advance for your posts and help.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-26-2000, 06:07 PM
Banned

I have:<br> cub walk behind 48&quot;<br> snapper walk behind 36&quot;<br> grazer ztr 52&quot; great machine ingersol rand co.<br> gravely pro 100 50&quot; <br>IMHO i would go with a three wheeled mower because it will not leave tracks as bad as a midmount. Outfrount mowers mow better than midmount mowers do.<br>