Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2000, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Outfront mowers for the most part have the same decks as their mid-mount counterparts and the deck placement doesn't affect the quality of cut. Deck design, tip speed and blade configuration affect the quality of cut.
Old 01-27-2000, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen<br>Kent Lawns<p>I wish to thank you both for helping me to understand out-front machines a little better. How do you know if a deck has been designed poorly. What is the optimum blade tip speed? What is blade configuration? How fast can a machine travel and maintain high efficiency?<p>Doc
Old 01-28-2000, 05:04 PM
Banned

blade speed is set by some OSHA standard.<br>My &quot;mowing speed &quot; is around 3.5 to 4.0 mph.<br>which cut average mowing speed to around 2.5<br>to 3.5 mph. turns, travel time, back-up, etc.
Old 01-29-2000, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen,<p>Thank you for the information. I am sorry that I didnít answer sooner but the server was experiencing some technical difficulties. The ground speed you stated seems to be much less than the ground speeds so many talk about. Why is there a difference?<br>OSHA sets the standard for blade speed. I assume this is a range because some run at 19000 and others less. What is the optimum speed? What is the fastest ground speed that can be attained and still maintain high efficiency? You spoke of buying a Walker because it gave the best cut and did not leave any wheel marks in the grass. What is it blade tip speed, ground speed and can it maintain high efficiency? Thank you again.<p>Doc <br>
Old 01-29-2000, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Maximum allowed blade tip speed is 19,000 feet per minute. <p>There are several factors affecting quality of cut, most of which cannot be adequately explained verbally. Also the type of grass and moisture content and cutting height change the scenario. <p>One machine might perform better in one scenario and a different machine will be the best in another.<p>For the type of mowing we do, we look for a deep deck, high-lift blade, extensive directional baffling and high blade tip speed.
Old 01-31-2000, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that dixie choppers would be great for large scale propertys(you can't beat there speed).But if you do any smaller propertys than i would suggest walker mowers.We do mainly residential lawns and our walkers are great.The one advantage the walker has over dixie is the amount of attachments avalible for the machine.If you wan't to do snow removal with your machine than walker agian would be best besouse the dixie last time i looked did not have a blower for the large models becouse of how much the tires would stick out from the blower.Don't get me wrong i thnk that for large propertys dixie would be better,but if you have some small propertys than walker i think would be worth looking into.<p>P.S if any one reading this owns or is soon going to buy a walker than i highly suggest that you pay a couple of extra bucks and install a speed up kit on your walker this will bring the speed up to around 8mph<p>from:Adam<br>Ab Lawn Care
Old 01-31-2000, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Adam, AB Lawn Care<p>I wish to thank you for the information and your time spent. When you say smaller properties what are you referring too? Residential property of what size, an acre, two or more, you didnít indicate. As I have stated many times the professional lawn care services in my area mostly use Walkers. Because everyone uses it, doesnít make it the best mower. Curlawngreen said that he was going to buy one this summer. He mentioned a larger deck could be added and that it only takes minutes to change. He said that Walkers gave lawns a manicured look. It is funny, all the times I have seen people using Walkers, I have never returned to a property and looked over the finished product. I have looked at pictures of Ericís work on his website. His work is absolutely beautiful a little longer grass than we prefer though. His work is done with a Dixie Chopper. I looked at Walker ownerís pictures on Walkerís website they were beautiful also. I donít know because they are the manufacturers. I like to see and hear things from real people.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-31-2000, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doc<p>First of all I would like to answer the <br>misconception that Walkers use grass handling decks most of the time.In my area half the guys use grass handeling decks and half use side discharge.Walkers have a huge varity of decks to choose from.Just in case you don't know of all the decks to choose from I will list them for you.There is either two or three deck sizes for grass handeling the two decks I'm shure of are the 42'' and 48'' I'm not shure if there is a 36'' or not.For side discharging there is a huge varitey.From smallest to largest it goes 36''(gear),42''(gear),52''(belt drive),54''(gear)and 62''(belt).We use the 54'' becouse the gear drive gives a better cut than the belt drive decks.During the spring and fall we use a 42'' grass handeling deck for spring cleanup and leaves in the fall.During the spring we also attach a spring dethacher that mounts in front of the deck.I don't know what your spring time conditinos are like so I don't know if this would work for you or not but with that set up in the spring as soon as the ground is dry enough we start useing the walker.With that dethacther on the front we hardly do any rakeing.The only spots we have to rake is flower beds etc.You asked what size of lawns we use our walker on.Our property sizes range from 4,500 to 60,000 sq.ft.We could do bigger jobs with our walkers but for now we are sticking to residenial and some commercial jobs.A couple of companys use their walkers for industrial sized jobs(factorys,malls etc.)But we are going to down the road buy a faster mower so we can compeat better with them.Agian I think that walkers are great but for huge lawns somthing like a dixie would be better.It all depends on what type of jobs you have.You talked about swiching decks on the walker yes it is true,you can change decks in about 7 min But!!!!!!!!You need two men to do it.Yes I'm shure one guy could do it buy himself but weather he would walk away or not is the big question!I think your best to stick with one deck and change to grass handeling in the spring and fall.Walker decks are made super strong which also mean that they are heavy!As far as cut goes I think that the walker would give a better cut.No I have not seen how well a dixie cuts,but when your going that fast with that big of deck I don't think you could beat a walkers cut.I hope this will answer you questions.If you have any more let me know I will be watching this discussion.<p>P.S if you want to know what model is the best for the walker just ask,I would answer now but I have some office work to do.<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 01-31-2000, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Adam, AB Lawn Care<p>I do thank you and appreciate the time you spent in providing us with these answers. Which model would you buy? Would it have the GHS deck? Would you get the side discharge and mulching deck? Would you get both? Would you get the diesel or the gas engine? If you had a choice between a Dixie Chopper, Exmark or Walker and you are working on properties two acres or less, which would you buy? I am beginning to believe that these three are the best machines on the market and that it is not machine quality but taste and how you will use the machine that really counts. Thank you again for your help and insight.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-31-2000, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doc<p>As far as models go do not I repeat do not buy the 11hp with chain drive!!Our first machine was a 11hp shure is was alot faster than using a lawn tractor,and for us at that time it was great(becouse we were just starting the business back then).The reason I say not to buy it is it underpowerd slow and made to be used by homeowners with large propertys.That is the only model to stay away from.The 11hp is not a terible machine it just is not made to be used day in and day out by guys like us that beat the snot out of our mowers.Our 11hp is actually still in our fleet as a back up mower,it is basicly just waiting to be used as a trade in.In my opinion there are two choice models.1 is the 20 hp kohler and 2 the 24 hp gas kabota.We own a 20 hp kohler we put about 500 hrs on it this year(it is one year old now)we have had no breakdowns except for hitting a couple rocks but that is somthing that happens to every mower.The 24hp kabota is awsome,we have never owned one but we have heard nothing but good things about them.I think that engine has a 4000hr life expectancy.They are more expencive than the 20hp kohler but if you can afford it than buy that model.The 16hp gas is good too but it can only handel up to a 54''deck.As far a gas vs deisel goes I would go with gas.We bought a used 16.5 hp deisel(with 900hrs) and it was great during the summer time but we use our walkers for snow removal and lets just say that you don't want to be that close to a deisel exaust pipe when your using it in small drive ways all day long!We had the starter,all the injectors the glow plugs and a couple of other parts replaced to fix the smoking and problems with it starting.It did not work!Thats when we traded it in on our new 20hp.We heard this summer the the guy who bought it after us went through more problems with the engine and alternator and soon after that the dealership took the engine apart to see if they could locate the problem.They opened up the engine and one of the pistons fell right out!!!!It is going to cost him about $3000 canadian!!!Now does that settel the deisel question?It was not the any of the walker parts that where failing it was just the engine.For all I know that might have been a rare case.But from now on I am sticking to gas.I think that for my size of lawns (about 2 acres and under)walker would be best.It would be hard to use wide machines like the dixie or lazer z to manuver through gates and small spaces like I incounter daily.But if your doing large property then by all means look into those machines.Two other machines i would look into are the great dane(or wright stander)and the scag three wheeled riders.I have heard great things about the dane and stander.Also I use to think that the scag three wheeled riders where ancient history,but I once timed one of our competitors on a job that they got from us buy undercutting.They used 61'' machines and they blew our time away!!!!Don't be fooled like I was,they may look like an old design but they are fast!!!And never forget that scag has been in the business much longer than some other companys and they know how to build reliable machines.An other question you asked is GHS or side discharge.It all depends on your clients.We use to use GHS but we found that we did not like using that system and clients did not care if we used side discrarge.Some liked it more becouse they know it is better for the lawn.We now use still back pack blowers to blend the clippings into the grass when nedded.I hope this answered your questions if you have any more just let me know!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care