Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I checked out all the suggestions that you said. I did have a loose fitting and the fluid was getting air in it . I tightened up the fitting and still no better. I jacked up the mower and ran for 1 hr. to get all of the air out of system, when the mower is jacked up the wheel runs fine. When the machine is on the ground I still have no motion out of this wheel. Is this possibly a wheel motor and how can I check wheel motors and pumps to see if they are the problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplowcjc View Post
I jacked up the mower and ran for 1 hr.

Did you move the joysticks full forward then full reverse slowly at about 3/4 throttle during this hour ?

I've read of guy's swapping wheel motors from side to side for testing, But that's not a advisable way of testing. Metal shavings can be transfered to the working side and cause damage.

The only real test would be on the pump with a flow meter, If the pump passes the test the wheel motor has to be the faulty part. A flow meter runs in the $350 range so not every shop has one, You can call your local shops and see if they have one and what they charge just for the flow test.

Good Luck

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I ran the machine with the control lever pinned forward for one half hour and pinned back for one half hour. With the machine jacked up the wheel works fine. When it is on the ground all I get is a little movement forward and a whining noise when you try and go backward. Is there any test for a wheel motor or would I see anything if I took the pump or motor apart. thanks again.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A whining sounds like there may still be air trapped in the system, Just for giggles try bleeding as I posted above. Move the sticks back and forth 10-12 times.

Some hydraulic component rebuilding companies have machines that pumps and wheel motors can be mounted on for testing, I doubt there's a dealer that has a machine such as this in their shop. Most OEM's say to run a flow test on the pump, If it passes replace the wheel motor. If it fails the test replace it and hope the wheel motor is still good.

Unless you found a obvious failure (something broken) inside a wheel motor it could be nearly impossible to see wear/clearance issues relating to loss of power. I don't recall ever seeing a clearance spec sheet on a wheel motor.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you keep the machine jacked up or on the ground??
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta be jacked up....