Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler: K181..and..K161 can I..??

I bought a Kohler K181 to try and adapt to my Troy-Bilt horse (old 6 tec on now) but after 100 miles and $75+$20..I found out the bottom leg is broke off!..since then have been working on getting a 7hp Kohler K161. Now question: Can I or should I separate the 161 engine from the bottom base and put that base with the 4 legs (mounting holes) onto the 8hp 181? will it fit? and second is the 8hp has tapered shaft (was mounted to gen) but the 161 (7hp) doesn't..can I put the 161 crank into the 181 block so as to not have to deal with a tapered shaft and pulley search? Or..Should I just be satisfied with the 7hp that has the straight shaft? both need re-build so taring down anyway. Geno
Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

www.kohlerplus.com click on Enter as Guest

I would get the spec numbers off both engines and see which parts are the same. Check the connecting rod part numbers...if they match then I would think the crank would work(unless one of them has been rebuilt in the past). The side covers should be interchangeable.

If one of the engines was rebuilt in the past it could have an undersized connecting rod if the crank was turned down.

I think you would probably be better off just rebuilding the 161 just to make things easier but if you wanna do some research on it and have the 181 laying around anyway might as well do some checking.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Geno,

All the Horse tillers I've ever seen had the engine mounted from the rear bearing plate and not the four base screw holes.

Anyway, The cranks will not interchange. The stroke is different therefore if you do anything just rebuild the 161. Rebuilt it will till circles around that old Tecumseh.

Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks- going with 161..but..

The 161 looks very rebuidable..may not even need it yet- When I get it (tomorrow) I'll do a compression check. One problem thou: It has a big starter generator mounted to it (belt drve set up) so that stuff has to come off and I'm thinking cover may need replaced to accept a re-coil start in front..that is if I find one. This cover has the big pulley on it for the generator. By the way..Is the Generater worth anything? And is the car type coil factory? it looks like a auto one of the 70's. Geno
Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm,

Is your tiller set up for electric start ? You could have a problem if not, This 161 is factory with the auto looking coil. That means you must install a battery on your tiller to operate the ignition system, Some of these large belt pulleys had a notched out area on the outside edge. This is to hook a rope knot into for manual rope starting, But you still need a 12 volt power source to operate the ignition.

Sounds like you need to keep looking......

Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Geno,

All the Horse tillers I've ever seen had the engine mounted from the rear bearing plate and not the four base screw holes.

Anyway, The cranks will not interchange. The stroke is different therefore if you do anything just rebuild the 161. Rebuilt it will till circles around that old Tecumseh.

Good Luck
Hmm, when he said bottom leg I figured he meant one of the holes on the side plate was broke off. Maybe thats not the case?

Good call on the stroke. I didnt bother digging into books to look if the stroke or bore was different between 181 and 161.

If he has the 181 though he can probably steal the ignition components, flywheel, blower housing and recoil starter from that to avoid using a battery to power his ignition.

Also the "car type" coil is a special coil for Kohlers. Dont try using an automotive one on a Kohler. It will work for a while...but not long.

The Generator is probably worth something if its in good shape. Find some people that are into old lawn tractors.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks..I do still have 8hp

I'll look to see if I can switch ignition stuff. again- thanks