Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fungus problems.... seeing light at the tunnel..

First it was red thread, then dollar spot, and brown patch. Half of my lawns look like crappies. The weather has turned, and things are looking better, at least a bit. Even my own lawn with 5 fungicide apps this year still has some damage.

Then.... this:

What a wild couple of weeks. Thought I might have a fatal disease (seriously) or maybe just have a foor amputated, had no health insurance, and things looked bleak.

Thought I had gang grene, while I was never diagnosed with diabetes, I havnt been to the doc in years. Ddiabetes runs in the famliy. Turns out it wasn't gang grene, just HUGE blood blisters that made most of my big toes black and a bone splinter stickin thru my foot. Ended up getting FULL health benefits as a Vietnam era vet, (having been denied in the mail, was approved at the VA hospital in minutes) got fixed up, took a forced week off, every customer was cool about getting their mowing skipped for a week, and while I'm still limping, am almost caught up.

Nice slide in there, personal statement with a fungus thread? LOL.... I hope the site doesn't mind... this forum is my home here.

Back on the fungus... I will hit my dollar spot lawns this week with N. Next year I will presell the HHHHoly HHHHell out of preventative fungicide apps, and need to learn more about one of ICT Bill's products that some have said helps quite a bit as preventative....problem is I beleive Bill only ships bulk.

I would need to buddy up with others for a bulk shipment, if there is any interest.

Last year, my first, went soooo smoothly. Every lawn showed vast improvement. This year, it's been a backslide. Fungus... I hate fungus.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's good to see you back online Whitey. What a scare that was! Personally, I am glad that your service to our country has led to health benefits for you all these years later. It is surprising and gratifying to know that occasionally within our huge federal labyrinth a fast and just decision can be made. Thank you for your service to our country.

The pressure from fungus on turf is about to subside for the year. This is a great time of year to grow grass in Michigan (can't be much different timing on LI) and I am really enjoying it. Get some fertilizer out, aerate, power rake, or otherwise disturb the surface, overseed, topdress, fertilizer some more. You'll get your lawns beefed up and looking great. Riggle and others here can probably help you choose a good disease resistant mix, he's good with those NTEP lists.

Take time to take some pictures for yourself and future customers.

I've been wondering how that sod job is holding up too...welcome back.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Whitey,

Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Especially getting the benefits you deserve!

As a distributor of ICT products, I'd be glad to help you out with ICT NPP. you don't need to buy bulk, you can order as little as a gallon.

Go to the website below and contact me from there.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am so glad you are doing better, Whitey. Terrible experience. Glad the VA came through for you. The fungus I mean.
This week I am suggesting Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass. Look it up on the Pickseed website and then click on it to see the detailed data. It shows the disease resistance list. No resistance shown for dollarspot, but "excellent" for red thread, and "very good" for brown patch. Dark green.
http://www.pickseed.com/usa/Products...iesta_4_ts.pdf

Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear your doing better. Its amaziing what a week of cool weather has done for my lawns. I hit most of them with n also. My customers think i am "god". LOL. Getting ready for overseeding.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whitey,

Depending on what you need. Get in touch with Barry. If it is bulk that needs to be taken, then just let me know what you are looking for and I might could help you out. Heck, I was in Flushing on Monday, cant be too terribly far for you to scoot over and grab whatever you need from me.

Bryan
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks fellas. Quite a scare. Almost caught up now. Only one real complaint.... from of all people, the ones who got the free sod job. I'll get there tomorrow, and I am sure it will be a bugger to mow after 13 days. That lawn also had some dollar spot problems.

Barry, after this year, and how poorly fungicides worked for me, I am really open to new approaches.

Bryan.... heck, Flushing is only a half hour's drive, closer than the VA hospital! Thing is, what do I need!? LOL.... I guess I need advice! I'll take a look at your site, phast. I'm really not set up to do large volume spraying, but I can be hell on wheels with a backpack! That is as soon as I stop limping... they made a pretty big hole in my foot.

Brown patch was there, but it was red thread for starters that I think weakened the turf, then dollar spot. I think both problems made the turf much more suceptable to summer stress, beyond just dormancy, but plant death. The damage is worst in full sun areas. Areas with at least some partial shade are recovering. Other spots surely need spot seeding/renovation.

Riggs, I'll look into that rye.... but of the 3 fungi, it was dollar spot that kicked my butt the most.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Whitey,
I'll be glad to send you a free bottle of ICT Organics NPP to try out.
It can be sprayed by back pack.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt