Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

eligible workers with visa's

I was wondering if the other members on this site are open to employing eligible foreign workers with legal work visa's in this great nation. I have my views, I would like to hear your views on this topic.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If they are legal then why not....

A lot of american workers go across the ponds for work so if people want to come here I could care less as long as they are legal.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree. I employ legal mexican workers here in my landscaping business, as do others in my line of work in this area. I find no problems whatsoever with doing this but find that some people are vehemently opposed to it. So much so that I get threatened! The plain fact I try to get across is that As an american business owner I reserve the right to hire any legal worker I want. I am protected by this very government for doing so. I just find that some people are dangerously opposed to it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidriver View Post
I agree. I employ legal mexican workers here in my landscaping business, as do others in my line of work in this area. I find no problems whatsoever with doing this but find that some people are vehemently opposed to it. So much so that I get threatened! The plain fact I try to get across is that As an american business owner I reserve the right to hire any legal worker I want. I am protected by this very government for doing so. I just find that some people are dangerously opposed to it.
I think the issue is: How do you know they are legal? SS,DL, don't mean a thing, now do a through background check and see what happens....
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Legal in that we hold the work visa. I can say they are legal to be here and work.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

H2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidriver View Post
Legal in that we hold the work visa. I can say they are legal to be here and work.
The H2B working visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter into the U.S. temporarily and engage in nonagricultural employment which is seasonal, intermittent, a peak load need, or a one-time occurrence................if this is what you have, then go for it, one of the Largest mowing contractor in Texas uses them,JUSTMOWIT.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure we hire them if they can provide a work permit and or a green card other than that they can go back home for all I care

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I agree. I dont have the time for non legal workers. I dont do it. I know they all go home in the winter unless they stay on for snow...but even they go home for a few weeks before spring. I think its a good practice. I know alot of guys who do it illegally but for some reason they dont get caught. I got checked years ago. I even had the state police come in and dip test my truck tanks for non legal diesel. I laugh because the real offenders are just down the street and never get so much as a hiccup.
I find it funny, I run a legal business and get hassled, the other guys run with illegals and all kinds of mess and nothing happens.
I guess I am just lucky.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Wrong forum.

Tell Your Story... Who Are You? Let us know a little about yourself and your lawn care and landscaping business. Let us know who you are, where you are from, and what equipment you started with and how far you have come along in the business.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I will post it for this purpose. I started in this business at the age of 13 under my father. I became a full time, on my own business in 1989. I started at this time with a toro p220(beautiful machine) and a line trimmer as well as a 16 foot trailer and a hand held gas blower. I had a pickup truck and did my best to make money period.
today, I have several crews and run the operation for larger private estate's. I use my home as a base to run everything and store equipment. I use my residence to stock pile some materials and I have equipment lists for the insurance policies. I cant type it all but.
gravely z turns
exmark z turns
1 scag z turn
three trailers
two dump trucks, mason and 8 ton.
line trimmers
chain saws
trucks
two loaders
john deere gators
golf carts
repair shop
leaf blowers
collectors
brush hogs
finish pto rears
People people and people.....
sorry just too much and its always changing
KEY IS GOOD WORKERS. ONCE YOU GET A FEW KEEP THEM HAPPY AND KEEP THEM PAID.