Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander316 View Post
...are the front castors greasable?

...Are the Y/K's basically just gonna be red, with Y/K badging?
The front casters pivots are greaseable however, the zerk is under the cap. We wanted to protect the zerk and eliminate "over-greasing". Just pop the cap off and grease once a season.

The YK's will be basically the same machine with different paint, seat, tanks and a few cosmetic pieces like the engine guard and foot plate.

Q
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry guys, no good photos of the underside of the deck right now. I'll work on that. In the mean time, I grabbed a few CAD shots of the underside of the deck and the new spindle assembly.

There is a lot of beef in this deck. It’s made from fabricate 7ga and is 6” deep. The front skirt is formed back then reinforced with a ½” x 1-1/2” strip. The anti-scalp wheels are double supported. The anti-scalp wheel brackets are wrapped up and over the top of the deck shell to further reinforce the front skirt and help prevent deck damage when you inevitably find that short stump in the overgrown lot. We’ve also incorporated an operator step on to the left side of the deck.

We wanted to make the deck as productive as possible and still maintain great cut quality. I think we’ve done that. The rear of the deck was sucked in towards the center blade. CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) told us this significantly increased the flow through the deck. The 60” deck uses 21” blades. This gives it 1-1/2” of blade overlap to help prevent uncut stripes between the blades at high ground speeds. It has a big discharge opening, 17” on the 60” deck and a molded rubber discharge chute… for the few guys that actually leave them on! We also have an OCDC option that functions with the factory discharge chute in place. The blades are 3” wide by ¼” thick. They’re sharpened nearly all the way to the blade bolt hole. We found this helped eliminate random uncut grass.

The new cast iron spindles are massive. They are 10” in diameter to help distribute the loads associated with blade impacts. The blade spindle is 30mm in diameter (1.181”). The bearings are triple shielded and greaseable from the top.

We went with 6” and 7” steel idlers. The larger diameter improves idler bearing life and extends belt life by reducing the bend radius of the belt. The spring loaded deck belt idler uses a new torsion spring design. It provides even belt tension as the belt wears and stretches and responds quickly to load changes

Q

Name:  Deck top.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  Deck Underside.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  spindle bottom.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  spindle top.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  25.4 KB
Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
The anti-scalp wheels are double supported. The anti-scalp wheel brackets are wrapped up and over the top of the deck shell to further reinforce the front skirt and help prevent deck damage when you inevitably find that short stump in the overgrown lot.
Why on earth every manufacturer does not do this is beyond me. 15 year old Bobcat comes in, I almost guarantee the anti scalp wheels will be in tact on the deck. 1 year old Wright stander comes in...wheels gone or flopping all over the place.

What is the deal with the strange shapes of the tank? Why not fill in that area with more tank and more fuel rather then cut all the notches in it?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
What is the deal with the strange shapes of the tank? Why not fill in that area with more tank and more fuel rather then cut all the notches in it?

Sorry, you'll have to see Cooter's reply above... The tanks are from a space ship. Not much we could do!

But seriously, the Industrial Design guys had everything to do with that. They wanted to give the machine a certain "look". I'm not sure what that look is, but I'm sure they achieved it. HA!

The machine has a 12+ gallon fuel capacity.

Q
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the insight Jim.

One question regarding the skirts. The space between the front and cutting skirt is larger at the trim side then narrows to almost nil at discharge. Seems a bit unusual, how does that help?

I'm talking about the front edge of the deck, forgive my lack of technical terminology.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post

One question regarding the skirts. The space between the front and cutting skirt is larger at the trim side then narrows to almost nil at discharge. Seems a bit unusual, how does that help?

I'm talking about the front edge of the deck, forgive my lack of technical terminology.
Because the way the deck shell is designed, there would be more labor and material waste to trim that back. I doubt there's a functional difference either way.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will this deck make its way to any of the other commercial Zs? Looks a lot like a Velocity Plus from the underside. Split steel pulleys?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
The machine has a 12+ gallon fuel capacity.
A shame, wasted opportunity for snatching customers. If some mfg came up with a 16-18gal capacity, it would allow 2 work days before needing a trip to the pump. Does anyone other than me hate daily pump visits?

Even with a LC motor like mine I'm still about 2 gallons short (12gal tank) on day two, which I compensate by hauling gas cans.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, it looks good but may need some more deck rollers (from looking at the cad photo anyway). BTW who owns Husqvarna as in what country of origin? Thanks r1
Attached Images

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post

Think discharge. It provides a more direct path for the clipping to exit the deck. Less baffle to bounce off before they leave.

Q