Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That seat looks mighty inviting! Over all it looks like a nice mower. My main question would be just how well does it cut? Smooth carpet like cut? Does the deck create a lot of vacuum? How well does it discharge? Does the deck gum up easily in wet grass?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
... My main question would be just how well does it cut? Smooth carpet like cut? Does the deck create a lot of vacuum? How well does it discharge? Does the deck gum up easily in wet grass?
We've put a lot of time and effort in to this deck. Our in-house Doctor, Dr. Bin Zhu, PHD has done a great job on the conceptual side by creating CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) models and tweaking the design to maximize performance and minimize things like blowout and low flow areas where grass tends to collect. Then we went took all that theoretical stuff and went to the field. We made more changes to improve performance in different grass types and unique geographical related conditions. You just canít learn that kind of stuff from a computer model.

We have several different blades available. Each bade addresses a certain set of cutting conditions.

The machine will ship with a general purpose blade. (1" lift). Good balance between horse power consumption and quality of cut.

We've got a high performance High Lift (1-1/2" lift). The blade consumes more horse power but produces a beautiful, crisp cut. It produces more lift or suction so it's great for "wimpy" grasses that need to be lifted before being cut. They are also good when processing large quantities of grass. They throw the clippings a mile with nice even dispersal. No clumping or windrowing.

We've got a low lift blade (3/4" lift). It works well in St. Augustine, Bermuda and other grasses that are generally dense and stand up to be cut. It's also a good choice in sandy or dry conditions when the grass is sparse and blow-out become an issue.

We've got a Gator blade (1" lift). Great for those who like Gators, fall clean-up and collecting leaves so you can pack the bags tight. It comes standard in the mulch kit.

Then there is the optional Reverse Lift Mulch Blade. It seems to work best when mulching Southern grass types and consumes a little less horse power than the Gator.

For the local conditions here in Beatrice, my personal favorite is the 1-1/2" High lift. Like I said, it consumes some power but WOW, super crisp cut and discharges like crazy.

I love the cut this thing lays down. In my opinion, just a crisp as any UltraCut with the ability to process grass like the Velocity Plus or 7 Iron. Big words, I know.

The problem is, I'm part of the group who put the thing together. Of course I'm going to say that!

Q
Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jim Q, a question for you....

Why does every ZTR manufacturer continue to offset the front castors on their mowers? I can understand doing it back in the day before hi-lift blades and other innovations but why continue to do it now? Some manufacturers like Hustler, Exmark and Dixie Chopper have different offsets between the left and right side of the mower. The left hand castor tracks right between the blades but the right hand castor tracks over the center of the right hand spindle. If high end ($9,000+ stuff, not Home Depot junk) lawn tractors like those from John Deere and Simplicity can lift and cut grass without an offset moving the castor track out from between the blades how come ZTRs can't?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that mower is hoing to replace my Super z's. I just hope my Hustlers will hold up until the twin speed version is out. Do I need to go 18 mph??? No! BUT!!!!!! HA. And Jim, I like the seat. A pm is on the way.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Wonder how that deck will do with Bahia?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

deck improvements

Hello,
pm sent
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I think Husqvarna really did some R&D with this new series. If it does as well as it looks, they should be pretty happy.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like they stepped up there game! Hopefully it will be extremely competitive with scag and exmark now! They have always had the durability just not the cut quality or the extra refinements as the other mowers. Looks like they hit the nail on the head. I am ready to see one of these things in action. So do you all have a date to be released or is it still just before the end of the year?

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Jim Q, a question for you....

Why does every ZTR manufacturer continue to offset the front castors on their mowers?...
The cut quality theory goes like this... it's about putting the left caster on the "back-swing" side of the blade. The caster tire rolls over the grass and lays it down if a forward direction. With the left caster offset towards the center of the machine, itís on the back swing side of the blade. The blade swings back against the grass that has been rolled forward by the caster tire. I donít think this theory holds much water.

And then there is ďtrimĒ. By moving the left caster inward, it can in some situations improve "trim" when cutting inside and outside curves. The down side is, it adds length to the machine. Because of the angle of the front deck skirt, the closer to the center of the machine the left caster is, the farther forward it must be positioned.

Also, pull the left caster in too much and it gets inside of the track made by the rear tire and screws up the stripe.

The left caster on the PZ is pulled in a bit but not as much as others. We chose to keep the machine short.

Q
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
...So do you all have a date to be released or is it still just before the end of the year?

The first machines are running down the line this week. Now, it's just a matter of getting them out to dealers. Look for them in the next few weeks.

Q