Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some say it's better on the back? I have run Toyota pull cats (tuggers) that you stand on around a factory for 12 hr shifts and I got used to that pretty well. It was actually easier to step off and do something. I have very limited experience with stand on ZTR's (about 4 hrs) and it gets easier. I know my old Lazer would have never came down that slope or probably across it. You would have lost all control going down with the old Lazer, not sure about the new one. I'm fairly sure I could cut that slope with the Turf Tiger cross ways or going up but I wouldn't point the front wheels down the slope.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for posting the video. How would the Zk have handled this hill if the grass was wet, the soil soft, etc.? I thought 31 hp was overkill for the motor but the pumps seem to take a lot of power. Especially after the year we've had my main concern about Wright and other brands is how well they cut and handle wet grass. Any comment on that?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see that done with the 36" Sentar....
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Thanks for posting the video. How would the Zk have handled this hill if the grass was wet, the soil soft, etc.? I thought 31 hp was overkill for the motor but the pumps seem to take a lot of power. Especially after the year we've had my main concern about Wright and other brands is how well they cut and handle wet grass. Any comment on that?
I have done that hill on the same day as it poured. I'm not gonna lie, the regular Stander doesn't like the wet grass too much, but the ZK just blasts through it. Wait for me to finish the video, I cut a huge yard that is REALLY REALLY wet, as it rained the entire morning. It has a pretty good hill in it to.

Equipment
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
8x16 foot trailer
2009 Wright Stander ZK 61'' 31HP
2009 Wright Stander 52'' 23HP
2005 Wright Stander 52'' 19HP
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the mower handles very well. The hill looked pretty steep and the zk handled it without a problem. Very impressive seeing it going up and down the hill as well as going across.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

At 1:27 on the video he came to a complete stop going down the hill. This would have sent most mowers skidding or at least spun a tire, then he slowly takes off again. Often when taking pictures or video the film just doesn't do justice to how steep a hill really is. I am guessing that is the case here.

No way the regular stander (23 hp 52") I have at the moment would do that well on a slope. Smithco Lawn Care how would the regular stander do on this slope with an experienced operator? I'm pretty sure not nearly as well, in fact I doubt you could stop it going down.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowbizz View Post
Nice vid, but the bouncing around that kid is doing would kill me ( my back and legs)...my ztr will handle those hills easily...sitting is good.
Im pretty sure my scag would handle that too, when done properly
2013 x2 Turf Tiger Kohlar 61" 52"
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
2010 Stihl Chain Saw Farm Boss MS290 18"
2012 Stihl CHain Saw MS190
2008 Stihl HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl BG 85 Blower

2011 Kubota MX5100 w/ Loader and Brush Hog & Other Attachments

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."
Old 09-06-2009, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tacoma, what would your tiger do if you tried the downhill 180 turn he does while sidehill cutting at 1:51. Good chance my old lazer would have been off to the races, freewheeling straight down the hill.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
tacoma, what would your tiger do if you tried the downhill 180 turn he does while sidehill cutting at 1:51. Good chance my old lazer would have been off to the races, freewheeling straight down the hill.
The Tiger has most of it's traction going up or across slopes and can loose traction pointing downhill. They brought that same unit to some of the steep hills I do and it went in the same tracks as the Turf Tiger with just a little spinning turning up the hill. The guy operating it was a bit more aggressive than I am though. I always turn up the hill in dangerous area's, even if I have to do a 3 point turn. The Tiger would do that hill but not the way he did it, in fact it is so long it would have probably scraped the back end at the bottom of the hill. I would have started at the bottom and worked my way up going across the slope. The Turf Tiger is very stable when operated that way but you get 1,500+ lbs going over a hill front end first it is hard to stop. The ZK seems to be a little more unsteady going across the slopes than the Tiger but it does much better coming down. I think the ZK would be a good unit, unfortunately I am demoing a regular stander and the closest dealer support right now is almost 100 miles away but they are growing in popularity so it's an option for the future. As I have said in some other post what small area's that I don't feel secure on the Turf Tiger we have been getting with a front wheel drive Toro 22" which does a great job in hard to get to area's. Most of my hills have a fence or cliff at the bottom so there is no place to turn around. We have had a good time with the stander though and it has sparked my interest. I like the way right puts the operator right on top of the drive tires which I think they have a patent on. There is a steeper learning curve on a stander and I wouldn't want to do 10 acres on one but it has been really handy in tight lawns, around playground equipment, etc. White pines and Spruce trees are not easy with a stander though, very hard to get in close. The guy that brought me the demo said they put a lot of standers on a trailer and can really clean up some of the high end horse farms in the Lexington area in a hurry. Many of these farms are owned by Europeans and people from Saudi Arabia and Dubai. When fuel goes up it is feasible to pull several of these small standers with a very small truck so they are worth looking into. I'm learning all I can.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your thoughts, Tacoma. I may demo one of these. My dealer has one in stock. I really like operating a sit down, but the vid was impressive. Might be worth a closer look. I also see they have a seasonal buying program. The 61 inch retails for 11,559, but you can buy it for 9,593 in November.

YourSkiCoach.com

Tags
hill , stander , video