Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, Tacoma. I may demo one of these. My dealer has one in stock. I really like operating a sit down, but the vid was impressive. Might be worth a closer look. I also see they have a seasonal buying program. The 61 inch retails for 11,559, but you can buy it for 9,593 in November.
Just remember that it will probably take much longer to get comfortable operating a stander. But after you get the hang of it as this video shows it is a very versatile machine. Most people will give up too soon because of this steep learning curve.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
Just remember that it will probably take much longer to get comfortable operating a stander. But after you get the hang of it as this video shows it is a very versatile machine. Most people will give up too soon because of this steep learning curve.
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I've been running setters so long it's going to feel like *******. I experienced that on the grandstand earlier this year.

But too, that thing was not balanced like this one appears to be. On the GS I had to pitch myself way over the front of the machine when going uphill, and the deck still wanted to lift up in the air. Perhaps I just need to cut back on the dinner helpings.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In your most excellent video, there is a second Wright running around. Is that your 52" Stander, or a smaller Wright?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Very good job making this video. The standard Wright stander I'm using seems to do really well going up a hill but not as good going down or across (the ZK seem much better going down and across). Problem is I don't have a bottom to turn around on the hills I do. I watched (my distributor riding/demoing)a 61" ZK do the same hills as I do with the Turf Tiger only he spun a bit (but he may have had too much air in the tires) but the regular stander is sliding on the same slope the Turf Tiger (or ZK) does not slide on . Great video, that shows exactly what the ZK can do. Thanks....
i have found with personal experieance that weighing a bit more if you will can get you more traction than you speak of. i have put on a few extra over the last 2 years and have noticed a difference of my own. plus the light folks that work for us all have more problems than I and it is not always the expereience thing
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

by the way, very nice video. untill you watch someone else mowing you dont understand how fast we all really mow and how it looks to a csutomer. some are amazed and others bothered. hm
Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i have found with personal experieance that weighing a bit more if you will can get you more traction than you speak of. i have put on a few extra over the last 2 years and have noticed a difference of my own. plus the light folks that work for us all have more problems than I and it is not always the expereience thing
I was thinking the same thing. I am not very heavy, and it seems like a heavier person would get better traction with the regular stander. Even turning on ground that is slightly uneven I had some wheel spin in reverse. Of course I have only a few hours experience but enough to know the standard fixed deck Wright is not going to be my choice for most hills. But I have found other things I like about the unit, most have been mentioned before, small foot print, ability to put several on a trailer, easy towing, they follow contours very well. I really like the unit I am using, just not in the way I had imagined. It probably speeds up the time on small lawns with lots of obstacles, contours, etc. I can run to the trailer hop on and be mowing very quickly, step off to remove trash, turn very tightly around most trees, etc. If gas goes back to $4.00 per gallon I can see using a smaller truck and trailer for some routes as I grow.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
At 1:27 on the video he came to a complete stop going down the hill. This would have sent most mowers skidding or at least spun a tire, then he slowly takes off again. Often when taking pictures or video the film just doesn't do justice to how steep a hill really is. I am guessing that is the case here.

No way the regular stander (23 hp 52") I have at the moment would do that well on a slope. Smithco Lawn Care how would the regular stander do on this slope with an experienced operator? I'm pretty sure not nearly as well, in fact I doubt you could stop it going down.
Last year I had to use the 52'' (other mower in background) on that hill. It was not easy. Forget about striping, I would just cut what ever way I could. I would slide all the way down and was very hard not to pop a wheelie on the way up. Now it's a breeze as you can see, I can stripe it now. On this hill the ZK is 10X better than the regular Stander.

Equipment
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
8x16 foot trailer
2009 Wright Stander ZK 61'' 31HP
2009 Wright Stander 52'' 23HP
2005 Wright Stander 52'' 19HP
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
In your most excellent video, there is a second Wright running around. Is that your 52" Stander, or a smaller Wright?
Yeah it's the 52'' 19hp

Equipment
8x16 foot trailer
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 09-06-2009, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I am not very heavy, and it seems like a heavier person would get better traction with the regular stander. Even turning on ground that is slightly uneven I had some wheel spin in reverse. Of course I have only a few hours experience but enough to know the standard fixed deck Wright is not going to be my choice for most hills. But I have found other things I like about the unit, most have been mentioned before, small foot print, ability to put several on a trailer, easy towing, they follow contours very well. I really like the unit I am using, just not in the way I had imagined. It probably speeds up the time on small lawns with lots of obstacles, contours, etc. I can run to the trailer hop on and be mowing very quickly, step off to remove trash, turn very tightly around most trees, etc. If gas goes back to $4.00 per gallon I can see using a smaller truck and trailer for some routes as I grow.
I weigh 190lbs and my dad weighs 230lbs. He has much better traction on the 52'' than me. Ill be sliding all over a hill and he'll jump on and mow it, no problem.

Equipment
8x16 foot trailer
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithco Lawncare View Post
Last year I had to use the 52'' (other mower in background) on that hill. It was not easy. Forget about striping, I would just cut what ever way I could. I would slide all the way down and was very hard not to pop a wheelie on the way up. Now it's a breeze as you can see, I can stripe it now. On this hill the ZK is 10X better than the regular Stander.
That is very valuable information since you have used both units on the same hill. The ZK must be better balanced and have superior traction to the regular stander.

Tags
hill , stander , video