Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smithco, you've been operating your ZK for a bit now. Could you share your impressions of the deck/cut in various conditions? I'm not familiar with it at all. I'm going to demo the ZK, but I'd like to hear what you think about it's performance,,, the good, bad and ugly, and how it compares on your grass with other decks you've used.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

bumppppppppppppp

Equipment
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
8x16 foot trailer
2009 Wright Stander ZK 61'' 31HP
2009 Wright Stander 52'' 23HP
2005 Wright Stander 52'' 19HP
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Smithco,
Thanks for the video!
We demo'd a 52" Sentar, up and down hills was no problem, but we couldn't get the thing to hold hills sideways.
In addition, the smaller tires tore up alot of turf and the cut quality was fair at best
Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Impressions and observations

1. Very cool video, informative and interesting to watch.

2. It's absolutely pathetic that some manufacturers' marketing dept's are too lazy/backwards/incompetent to have already made dozens of this type of video already. If the mower has an advantage somewhere, they should be showing it off.

3. Hills are not always easy to judge, but I've done some on SOME ztrs that are about that steep and the ztr also handles it fine going up/down. A lot of it is dependent on the tires on the machine, the moisture on the lawn, and the design of the ztr. Some are definitely more low-slung and stable feeling than others. The stander is probably better going downhill it looks like, but that particular hill seems within my ztr's capabilities. Worst case I back down. It just doesn't come up that often here.

4. They look fun to run, but when you really work a lot (not part time) and when it's really hot I do prefer sitting to any sort of standing, as supporting your weight with muscles has to take more energy than sitting on your rear. Also various muscles are used to stabilize oneself on a stand on mower or sulky and that takes its toll over the day. I used sulkies and wb's exclusively for years and there is a difference. I will still take a wb out for the day sometimes and my body feels the difference that night. Tough on ankles too. A stander would be better than a sulky, but it ain't sitting. I walk about 10 miles a day even using a Z, so that's plenty for me.

5. I'm curious why so many Wright owners present their threads like salesmen, rather than consumers of the product . Is there something going on in that regard that we need to know about? Incentives or finders fees? ???? I own some machines I could recommend and some I wouldn't, but helping equip one's competition with superior machines doesn't sound like a great business plan. So why all the fervor and almost fanatical support?

Last edited by brucec32; 09-09-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32 View Post
Impressions and observations

1. Very cool video, informative and interesting to watch.

2. It's absolutely pathetic that some manufacturers' marketing dept's are too lazy/backwards/incompetent to have already made dozens of this type of video already. If the mower has an advantage somewhere, they should be showing it off.

3. Hills are not always easy to judge, but I've done some on SOME ztrs that are about that steep and the ztr also handles it fine going up/down. A lot of it is dependent on the tires on the machine, the moisture on the lawn, and the design of the ztr. Some are definitely more low-slung and stable feeling than others. The stander is probably better going downhill it looks like, but that particular hill seems within my ztr's capabilities. Worst case I back down. It just doesn't come up that often here.

4. They look fun to run, but when you really work a lot (not part time) and when it's really hot I do prefer sitting to any sort of standing, as supporting your weight with muscles has to take more energy than sitting on your rear. Also various muscles are used to stabilize oneself on a stand on mower or sulky and that takes its toll over the day. I used sulkies and wb's exclusively for years and there is a difference. I will still take a wb out for the day sometimes and my body feels the difference that night. Tough on ankles too. A stander would be better than a sulky, but it ain't sitting. I walk about 10 miles a day even using a Z, so that's plenty for me.

5. I'm curious why so many Wright owners present their threads like salesmen, rather than consumers of the product . Is there something going on in that regard that we need to know about? Incentives or finders fees? ???? I own some machines I could recommend and some I wouldn't, but helping equip one's competition with superior machines doesn't sound like a great business plan. So why all the fervor and almost fanatical support?
We want to show you how good the machines are. No one gives them a chance and always says they would rather sit than stand. Standing allows you to shift your weight and easily get off or duck under obstacles. Please look at this http://www.wrightmfg.com/10reasons/ People tend not to like them just based that you stand. We want to show you standing is the way to go.

Equipment
8x16 foot trailer
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Great Video!!!!!
2004 Chevy C4500 W/12' Monroe Dump DURAMAX/ALLISON 105,000 Miles
2008 Royal Cargo 8.5'x18' Trailer

SCAG & ECHO POWER EQUIPMENT

"While your Strokin and Cummin.. I'll be takin your girl to the Max"
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02DURAMAX View Post
Great Video!!!!!
thank you sir

Equipment
8x16 foot trailer
3 STIHL FS90Rs
2 STHIL Hand Helds
2 STIHL BR600s
1 FRANAN backpack blower
2 21's
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Smithco - Would changing the rear wheel position on the standard 52" 19 Hp stander help you with traction on hills with lighter operators like yourself? I know some of the standard standers have various holes drilled for rear wheel position adjustment.

Kudos on the ZK. I have the same mower and have grown to really like it.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know any midmount ztr which would have such or any problem on this hill (may be only scag ttiger)
watch video close again:
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg zk_clip143kbps1.mpeg (813.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: zip zk_clip143kbps1.zip (785.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would be screaming while my dixon flew down that hill

Tags
hill , stander , video