Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Have any tall people ran these? I'm 6'6'' 250lbs and didnt really care for the feel of the Grandstand. It felt like I was up too high but I havent really had much time on one yet. I've been wanting to try a Walker and have seen alot of people with them but can't find a dealer near me.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I am 6'6" as well, and I love the Grandstand, we have two 48inch ones. We have a sentar and I felt like I was to tall for it, but I don't agree with you on the grandstand, sorry.

Dem, try one and then post a nice coherent post...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
even if i explained it to you 5 times - i see, you would still have no idea what i'm talking about, so don't worry about it
ya your right i still dont understand what your talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Cake View Post
This paragraph tells me you've never operated a ztr/rider on a daily basis.
yes i agree!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Smithco, I came across your video of the Wright Stander ZK 61". I recently purchased a 14 acre property--much of it is forested, but there are probably at least 6-7 acres to be mowed and much of it is very hilly -- probably about as steep as in your demo.

From what I have read, the ZK seems to be one of the safest choices for such hilly landscape. The machine is probably overkill for me in that I will not be using it day in and day out, but it seems like a machine that would help me tackle this property and should last for many, many years.

I think my main questions are: If not a professional is this machine overkill? Is there a better solution to such a property with steep hills?

Also, is the 61" a better choice for stability on the hills? I wouldn't mind a smaller machine as being efficient isn't my top concern. I also thought a smaller machine would be easier to maneuver around the various buildings and objects. But if the 61" is more stable and equally easy to manage / maneuver maybe it is the way to go.

I am a complete novice--moving from the city to a large, rural property. Hoping someone can help me make the proper choice.

Thank you for the video and reviews.

Best,
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars777 View Post
Smithco, I came across your video of the Wright Stander ZK 61". I recently purchased a 14 acre property--much of it is forested, but there are probably at least 6-7 acres to be mowed and much of it is very hilly -- probably about as steep as in your demo.

From what I have read, the ZK seems to be one of the safest choices for such hilly landscape. The machine is probably overkill for me in that I will not be using it day in and day out, but it seems like a machine that would help me tackle this property and should last for many, many years.

I think my main questions are: If not a professional is this machine overkill? Is there a better solution to such a property with steep hills?

Also, is the 61" a better choice for stability on the hills? I wouldn't mind a smaller machine as being efficient isn't my top concern. I also thought a smaller machine would be easier to maneuver around the various buildings and objects. But if the 61" is more stable and equally easy to manage / maneuver maybe it is the way to go.

I am a complete novice--moving from the city to a large, rural property. Hoping someone can help me make the proper choice.

Thank you for the video and reviews.

Best,
get a tiger, you wont be disappointed!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Andy means get a Scag Turf Tiger zero turn rider. It's well regarded as one of the best hill performers when it comes to riders. Remember, Andy, you're talking to a novice.

If you don't mind standing the ZK would be an excellent choice, depending on how often you'll be cutting. I demo'd it last year. It was great on hills, but I found the cut substandard in tall grass. Left a lot of stragglers. If you're cutting regularly, it would be fine. It may also do better on the long stuff with the type of grass you have in your neck of the woods.

For reference, I have a lot of hills here too, and just purchased a new mower last week. I spent all last summer demoing various mowers. I tried the ZK, I tried the Scag Turf Tiger, I tried the Exmark Lazer, and I tried the Toro G3. I like the hill performance of the Turf Tiger, but didn't care for how it handled. Kind of sluggy. I liked the ZK's hill performance, but as I said, not its cut. My favorites were the Lazer and G3. I felt both performed equally with the Turf Tiger on hills, and very close to the ZK (in some repects slightly better, in some slightly worse). In the end I went with the Toro, because the dealer who carried them was better than the one who carried Exmark.

You really need to demo them for yourself, and make up your own mind, but hopefully this will give you a idea where to start.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you each for your reply. I will definitely look into those mowers as well.

I am still wondering if, whether I go with a ZTR or a stander, is there any advantage or disadvantage to a larger deck in terms of stability and maneuverability?

i.e. I don't have any gates or the like to pass through, I won't be transporting the mower, so size doesn't matter for those reasons. I get that a bigger deck means less passes, which doesn't really concern me much either way.

Mostly curious if, in terms of maneuvering around objects and, more importantly stability on hills, is a larger deck generally better / worse ?

Is there a reason other than cost or those mentioned above that I might prefer a larger or smaller deck?

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Smithco, you have had the zk in the spring lush grass. How has the cut been? What about clogging? Many of us are very interested since the zk is still pretty new. Overall what is your opinion on the cut quality. Does the deck cut it up in small pieces like an exmark or is it designed more like a jd and spits out longer blades of grass?

Tags
hill , stander , video