Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Question First Walkway - Question about irregular shaped stones (Arbel)

I'm bidding my first walkway for a client. It's small enough that I'm comfortable taking it on, about 27 1/2 feet x 5 feet. It's gonna curve around a little bit from his front steps to the driveway.

He threw me a small curve, though, when he got to looking at my Belgard catalog and asked me if I could do it in Arbel stone, which happens to be an irregular-shaped stone.

I'm thinking yeah, I can do it, I'll just have to cut some curved lines along the edges with a cutoff saw and put the edge restraints down there. BUT - I got to looking at the Belgard website and I could see where they have pictures of Arbel stone left "irregular" - that is "uncut" - forming an irregular edge that they're using as a border in a bed with some ground cover growing in it. Actually I like the idea of doing this as it preserves the natural effect of the Arbel stone.

I assume it's okay to do this or Belgard wouldn't be showing this in their catalog. I tried to find the .jpg picture of this that my client sent me in the Belgard catalog but I couldn't find it.

My question is HOW does one do this? Do you just forget the edging? Do you put the edging in place along the outside edges of the Arbel stone and just nail it down there? Do you use some other reinforcement? (Do you cut the edging into small pieces and spike it on each outside edge of the Arbel? Or bend it in and out, etc... YIKES I hope not...)

TIA
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSooner View Post
I'm bidding my first walkway for a client. It's small enough that I'm comfortable taking it on, about 27 1/2 feet x 5 feet. It's gonna curve around a little bit from his front steps to the driveway.

He threwCan u host? me a small curve, though, when he got to looking at my Belgard catalog and asked me if I could do it in Arbel stone, which happens to be an irregular-shaped stone.

I'm thinking yeah, I can do it, I'll just have to cut some curved lines along the edges with a cutoff saw and put the edge restraints down there. BUT - I got to looking at the Belgard website and I could see where they have pictures of Arbel stone left "irregular" - that is "uncut" - forming an irregular edge that they're using as a border in a bed with some ground cover growing in it. Actually I like the idea of doing this as it preserves the natural effect of the Arbel stone.

I assume it's okay to do this or Belgard wouldn't be showing this in their catalog. I tried to find the .jpg picture of this that my client sent me in the Belgard catalog but I couldn't find it.

My question is HOW does one do this? Do you just forget the edging? Do you put the edging in place along the outside edges of the Arbel stone and just nail it down there? Do you use some other reinforcement? (Do you cut the edging into small pieces and spike it on each outside edge of the Arbel? Or bend it in and out, etc... YIKES I hope not...)

TIA

Yeah. Gonna need edge restraint.

And you can saw cut a clean edge if desired.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you do it with an irregular edge like you would have with arbel stone?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They probably didn't use a restraint or they used concrete parged against the edge of the stone.

If you do decide to cut the edges plan on a good amount of waist. I prefer the look of a clean cut lines especially with the Arbel stone
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
How do you do it with an irregular edge like you would have with arbel stone?
Yeah it needs restraint.

You're going to have to snip it to hold the Pavers in Place.

This will be a walk in the park compared to laying those suckers.

And it's probably gonna take you a good hour or two to figure out how to lay the Arbel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I assume it's okay to do this or Belgard wouldn't be showing this in their catalog.
Sadly, paver catalogs are a great resource for photos of bad ideas.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this statement makes my day....I needed a good chuckle

Sadly, paver catalogs are a great resource for photos of bad ideas.

anything to make the sale though...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like the Techo-bloc catalog from 1 or 2 years ago that showed a radiused border with wide gaps between the pavers!

And there's another catalog (either Nicolock or Techo) that has a patio with the joint sand not properly brushed in and cleaned up!!

That's ok, that helps me with my presentation. I turn it into apositive and I use those pages to my advantage and I explain to the client "this is not what we do"

The Arbel is a paver that can go in with an irregular edge. And same with the Elena, it doesn't have to be a clean edge. There's an OLD OLD Belgard catalog (before Arbel came along) with a walkway wandering through a nice perennial garden with an irregular edge. Looks really sharp. Infact I kept that catalog just because of that edge! Or, like I done said - you can saw cut it. It's personal preference and up to the buyer.

Not really the greatest paver for getting your feet wet....

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 03-09-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

You might want to consider wet setting the border paver.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Laying them down in random pieces looks kinda amateur, it still requires you to come up with some sort of restraint especially if its up against flowerbeds or something. Cutting the restraint to follow those edges just doesn't make sense so either cement the edges or place curbs one to two feet away having flowerbed on one side and peastone on the other. It shouldn't move on that side, now the outside edge is another story. You'll be best to cut the curves and use edge restraint.
Attached Images

Tags
arbel