Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
dbear dbear is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hilton, NY
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
... removed my tailgate!
You might wan to check out an episode of MythBusters where they disproved this. It actually increased drag with the tailgate removed.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 PM
JB1's Avatar
JB1 JB1 is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: From the hills of beautiful Southern Indiana
Posts: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Business associates of ours that are running the 6.4 dont get very good mpg. Im going on record right now, saying this new ford will not get the mpg of the duramax lmm engine! When i cruise the highway i average 18 mpg @ 1500 rpm. I could see 20 if i slowed down to 60 mph and removed my tailgate!


I have been hearing the new one are getting 20 mpg, I hope this is right.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
bobcat_ron's Avatar
bobcat_ron bobcat_ron is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Posts: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
You might wan to check out an episode of MythBusters where they disproved this. It actually increased drag with the tailgate removed.
But you can counteract it by putting dimples all over your vehicle like a golf balls has.
__________________
The amount of energy necessary to refute bullsh*t is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it


http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM
dbear dbear is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hilton, NY
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
But you can counteract it by putting dimples all over your vehicle like a golf balls has.
I missed that one!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
bobcat_ron's Avatar
bobcat_ron bobcat_ron is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Posts: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
I missed that one!
4 mpg increase!!
__________________
The amount of energy necessary to refute bullsh*t is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it


http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
supercuts's Avatar
supercuts supercuts is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CT shoreline
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMowerGuy View Post
Im curious too why you dont like your 6.4? Ill be in the market for a slightly used diesel in the spring or summer. Im running a duramax now and it hasnt let me down
my biggest gripe is the mileage. when i bought of course they said "oh these get 18mpg" i get 10-12. the best ive ever gotten is 17mpg driving 55mph on FLAT highway. as soon as there is an incline, look out, turbo boost goes up mileage flops! so, i wasted $8500 for diesel, fuel is more and i get worse mileage over a V10. my truck has been in the shop a good dozen times, radiator, belt pulley went, too many noises to count, my DPF keeps going off every day.....what else.

when the DPF is in use it works by injecting fuel into the cylinder while the exaughst valve is open, pumping it into the DPF filter thing. 1, fuel is getting by the rings and ends up in your engine oil which is why many are complaning their oil levels keep going up. and 2 its wasting alot of fuel.

huge turbo lag. bad enough that when you forget you have it and try to pull out quickly into traffic, you hit the pedal and nothing happens. so, you lay into the pedal heavy right as the turbo is spooling and they all the sudden you laying rubber down and every is looking at you like your a big *******.

the few nice things about the truck is that it is very fast, lots of power. i would still trade it in any day for good ol' 7.3 powerstroke.

bottom line, stay away for the 6.4, its just not worth the money. worst mistake ive ever made
__________________
20 years total service, Full Time since 03'

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 PM
OhioMowerGuy OhioMowerGuy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N.E ohio
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02DURAMAX View Post
Keep your Duramax Bud!!!!!
I would keep it if was a extended cab. Im looking to get a 1 ton SRW diesel ext. cab 8ft. bed in the spring, either GM or Ford. And thats too bad you dont like your truck supercuts. Most of guys on the Ford diesel forums seem to like them, a couple dont though. I guess most of them guys arent doing what we do though, most of them are daily drivers or towing 5ers.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-25-2009, 08:07 PM
ProTouch Groundscapes's Avatar
ProTouch Groundscapes ProTouch Groundscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 2,137
its not turbo lag your feeling, its a fueling delay thats meant to ease power for reliability sake for the trans. i agree it is annoying.

08's are nightmares, 09's+ are perfectly fine. ours hasnt been in the shop for anything, well a faulty trailer harness which they replaced and now it is fine.

i get 14-16 mpg combined driving, over 200 highway miles and lots of short in town trips per week. you cant touch that with a v10.

to each their own.
__________________
ProTouch Groundscapes LLC.
"Creativity Inspired By The World We Live In."
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 AM
TXNSLighting's Avatar
TXNSLighting TXNSLighting is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercuts View Post
my biggest gripe is the mileage. when i bought of course they said "oh these get 18mpg" i get 10-12. the best ive ever gotten is 17mpg driving 55mph on FLAT highway. as soon as there is an incline, look out, turbo boost goes up mileage flops! so, i wasted $8500 for diesel, fuel is more and i get worse mileage over a V10. my truck has been in the shop a good dozen times, radiator, belt pulley went, too many noises to count, my DPF keeps going off every day.....what else.

when the DPF is in use it works by injecting fuel into the cylinder while the exaughst valve is open, pumping it into the DPF filter thing. 1, fuel is getting by the rings and ends up in your engine oil which is why many are complaning their oil levels keep going up. and 2 its wasting alot of fuel.

huge turbo lag. bad enough that when you forget you have it and try to pull out quickly into traffic, you hit the pedal and nothing happens. so, you lay into the pedal heavy right as the turbo is spooling and they all the sudden you laying rubber down and every is looking at you like your a big *******.

the few nice things about the truck is that it is very fast, lots of power. i would still trade it in any day for good ol' 7.3 powerstroke.

bottom line, stay away for the 6.4, its just not worth the money. worst mistake ive ever made
Something you gotta realize is you bought one of the first ones. Thats a big no no. You never buy a first year engine, if you do you cant complain about it. The 6.7 cummins sucked balls at first, as well as the LB7 Duramax. The 09-10's are alot better than the 08's. O well though.
__________________
Ryan

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
supercuts's Avatar
supercuts supercuts is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CT shoreline
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Something you gotta realize is you bought one of the first ones. Thats a big no no. You never buy a first year engine, if you do you cant complain about it. The 6.7 cummins sucked balls at first, as well as the LB7 Duramax. The 09-10's are alot better than the 08's. O well though.
yeah, i knew that when i bought it, it was bad timing. it is a job 2 truck though. i bought it in nov 08', it was right before the market crashed. i wanted used but people wanted $28K for a 3yr old truck with 70k miles. just wasnt worth it. had i waited till march or april 09' i could have got a great deal on a used.
__________________
20 years total service, Full Time since 03'

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Page generated in 0.10359 seconds with 8 queries