Register free!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here is what they look like after we aerated, dragged, topdressed with DE, powerseeded and watered in. We then applied NPP and 1-2-3 Hydroseed from ICT.

This is only 2 of about 15 rings. They are all this pronounced.

Now we wait for germination.......
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Incredible! I have never known this as anything other than a nuisance disease causing superficial damage. Heck, I’ve had people ask how can we make it all look like that (dark green). Thanks for the update, please keep us updated.

Was this sodded originally or seeded?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I am with Foreplease, that is some pretty extreme fairy ring. Hopefully it bounces back quickly. How deep were you able to core?
www.baseballfieldmaintenance.net
Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Originally sodded, a little more than a year ago.

Cores pulled were about 2 1/2 inches. Problem is that about 1 1/2 of that was thatch. We double passed everything, triple passed inside the lines and went over the fairy rings until I got dizzy
Old 09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason I asked was because in your first post you mentioned that it could have been a batch of soil that was brought in. It seems like the sod farm could have a part in this.

An inch and a half of thatch on sod installed a year ago? I am not ridiculing you or the situation, but I am shocked and wonder how it is even possible. Did they put it down over existing thatch? You have a tough road ahead keeping this place in good shape. I know from reading your posts you have the skills.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
The reason I asked was because in your first post you mentioned that it could have been a batch of soil that was brought in. It seems like the sod farm could have a part in this.

An inch and a half of thatch on sod installed a year ago? I am not ridiculing you or the situation, but I am shocked and wonder how it is even possible. Did they put it down over existing thatch? You have a tough road ahead keeping this place in good shape. I know from reading your posts you have the skills.
I originally did think that it was a soil issue as it was/is primarily in one spot. However, once we started treating we noticed that is was beginning to appear in a couple of other spots.

We tried to find a rhyme or reason to it, but we cant pin it down. We do have sod from multiple fields, it is obvious as the color of the sod changes in straight lines. They also installed 7 acres of squares!! I dont know what idiot thought this would be a good idea instead of rolls but what do I know.

Anyway, the rings are predominatley in the lighter colored sod. So maybe a combination of the two? sod and soil? At this point I dont care as long as we can control it.

I could not believe the layer of thatch either. So much so that I took it to a former golf superintendent buddy just to get his reaction and it was about the same as yours. If he hadnt seen it I dont think he would have believed it.

I can only attribute some of this to the H2O issues we had during the summer. Originally only the actual fields were irrigated and not the areas in between even though the whole complex is sodded. The fields also have a major tendency to hold water, so the watering was not being monitored properly and sometimes was shut off to allow for drying and not turned back on.

The irrigation has been fixed and zones added. But the drainage is another story. That is going to be a fight for the long haul.

The lesson learned here is, low bid is not always the way to go.....
Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is an update...2 weeks since seeding.

Heavy, heavy use on the fields is impeding the seed growth. As you can see the rings that are filling in are in the low/non play areas. Other rings are just getting beaten to death.

Turf blankets are ordered and it looks like we will be aerateing,topdressing and seeding in the early spring before the spring soccer season.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use turf blankets in soccer goals on one field. Have been using them between games during the last week in fact. Have you thought about seeding late afer play finishes for the year and leaving covers on all winter? I have had ours covered last two winters. Only problem I had was some mice damage in one goal. It was a worhtwhile tradeoff. Can you pre-germinate seed yet this fall? Sorry you are going through it, I have never seen anything like it. It is a little scary to think you could grow it back in and get hit again.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They dont finish using the fields until November 15th. So I am really not thrilled about trying to germinate more seed before then. But it may not be a bad idea to try to seed and leave the blankets over winter once play has stopped. At this point it cant hurt.

I remember those pics you posted with the mice damage. I would be willing to deal with that at this point.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

WOW! I have never seen such damage before, some unsightly rings on fields but never so much damage

I'll tell Barry to send you up some RhizoChar seed inoculant, 1 pound treats 400 pounds of seed, it will kick up the germination and take a lot. The product has not been offically released yet so this would be an excellent trial for it

We are getting Bent Grass germination in 7 days, about the same for KBG. You can mix it in a bucket or on a tarp, you just want a light coating