Register free!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I see damage like that occasionally in my zoysia lawns. I have used Prostar with limited success in the past. Pretty much a "crap shoot". It seemed to depend on what specific organism was causing the fairy ring at each particular site. I never used the Heritage until this year even though it has been around for awhile due to the expense. I rarely find the need for fungicides and I couldn't see spending $400+ for something that I would have sitting around for the next 10 years. I was informed this year by my supplier that they would have Heritage packaged in a granular form. One bag would cover about 12k at a cost of about $80 if I remember correctly. Being granular it is quick and easy to apply. That's a lot of Fairy Ring that can be treated with one bag considering most look like the ones in your pics. Occasionally I'll see one that is longer with less arch. The longest one I've ever seen was about 100ft long. I've used it on about 7 separate cases this year. Most sites had multiple rings with some being more severe(pronounced) than others. I've seen excellent results in each case. I don't want to stick my neck out and use the word "cured", but I am seeing excellent recovery in the more severe cases and there is no sign that Fairy Ring was ever present in the less severe cases. Sorry for the book. Just trying to relay some personal experience.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I appreciate the help and input from everyone. I will keep this updated with progress as we forge thru and find solutions. This is probably the first time I have ever had a problem that I did not have an easy solution or a time frame for a fix. Kinda frustrating....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Was by a couple of lawns I mentioned in my last post today to spray Winterizer App. Fairy Ring? What Fairy Ring? I don't see no Fairy Ring...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another update.

These were taken about 1 week ago. Friggin crap keeps moving. It had been 3 1/2 weeks since the application and let that be a lesson to me with organic fungicides....follow the recommendation of applying every 2 weeks.

Finally have mushrooms...yea
Seed is germinating nicely in the areas of moderate to low traffic, areas with heavy use are bare and will be topdressed and seeded in 2 weeks after the season and then blankets put on.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're what, 90 days into this? I feel for you. I think I would try to get a university involved before going any farther - especially before covering it for the winter. I liked the idea of using turf covers to push germination but who knows, the pathogen may go nuts under cover too.

If we could turn back time, a side by side test and comparison of Heritage, which you mentioned, and the Prostar that Riggle mentioned a couple months ago seems like it would have been a good idea. It is probably too late in the season now. Even though you are trying to stay organic, it seems like trying this is one of the few remaining affordable solutions you can try. Put it this way: if it is later determined that it works, you can't really afford not to have known that sooner.

What are you seeing with NPP? You are deep in curative territory, unfortunately. Is it recommended for that or only as a preventative?

I would be terribly concerned that this might be an every year problem. With that in mind, I believe I would try to work with the soil provider on how he can be conclusively and scientifically exonerated. I canít get over the sod with the inch-and-a-half of thatch. They need to be brought back into this it seems. The pecking order is not clear to me. Appears that some organization (not you) had this park built and sodded and it became your job to maintain it? I am sure you and the owner both would like to have the problem resolved. I feel bad that you are having this problem and on such a large scale.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't go pointing a finger at the person who hauled in the dirt. Usually I see Fairy Ring in areas where there was formerly trees. Especially with large native trees, they'll cut them but not completely remove stumps and roots.After they've been cut they'll cover everything with dirt. The next thing you know, Fairy Ring begins to develop and shows itself at the surface. Judging by the surrounding properties, I would say those fields likely had trees on them. Like I said before, I've seen excellent results with the Heritage granular. I know I'm sold...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been wondering how this came out of winter.

In today's news from Greenbook I see that a new fungicide called Tourney, from Valant, has been approved in NY and is labeled for Fariy Ring. It might be worth checking this out.

Hoping this is not the headache for you this year that it was in '09.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Zerotol will kill fairie ring.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Foreplease
Thanks for the link. I am looking into it now. I will get some pics up shortly from the fields. The rings that were blanketed are good so far. The ones not covered are thin and will need to be seeded again.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just wanted to update. We have been good so far this year....until now.

We just had some of the tell tale signs start showing up this week. Going to treat with Tourney ASAP, but crap that stuff is expensive, holy cow.

I will take pics of what we have before and how the Tourney works. But I have looked into it and have heard nothing but good things about it in regards to Fairy Ring