Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2009, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
Hey STL do you stay pretty busy doing ponds or do you do other landscape stuff too?
We do it all from waterfalls to property maintenance. As for staying busy it's hard to say for me this year. Last year I hardly had any water feature builds and I mostly had wall and paver work. This year I haven't touched a paver or wall block since February it's been 90% waterfalls. I love building it all, but water features are my favorite.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
We do it all from waterfalls to property maintenance. As for staying busy it's hard to say for me this year. Last year I hardly had any water feature builds and I mostly had wall and paver work. This year I haven't touched a paver or wall block since February it's been 90% waterfalls. I love building it all, but water features are my favorite.
That is the area I would like to get into. I am graduating college in the spring and would love to get a job in landscaping, it has always been a passion I have had and enjoyed. I have built a pond in my own backyard and my neighbors and also put a few brick paver walks in as well.
My degree is in journalism but I am not so sure that is what I want to do after I graduate. I wish I would have gone a different route now. I guess like they say though many people don't go into the field where they get their degree, and also what I have been told in the past year is that I should go into something I enjoy because that is the biggest part of it, being happy and liking what you are doing everyday.
Your work sounds really cool. Sounds interesting and also sounds like you stay pretty busy. Good luck in the future.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I was more busy than you think. Youy best bet is to work for a landscape company to gain field experience and see how the business is ran etc. Before you jump into your own business get the knowledge from someone who has gone through the growing pains. Than when your older and broken down from all the hard labor you can fall back on your journalism degree.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenbowLawn View Post
Im wanting to learn to build a pond, waterfalls, water gardens...Where should go to find info, or what can you all help me with?
Out of all the services my company does water features are my favorite. But hands on experience will teach you the most. As far as the basic fundamentals (which is the most important part) you can go to my web site www.pghsw.com, click under services, and go to waterscapes and I have pictures, diagrams, and an overview of all the necessary components.I agree with the other contractor about some of the Aquascape seminars. They are great for beginners, but beware. Aquascapes politics are a joke.If you don't financially fund the "Aquascape machine" they could care less about you. Trust me I installed their product for 10 years. And there seminars are not cheap. I highly recommend reviewing the basics and learning about biological filtration, and ecosystems. Let me know if there I can help with anything in the future. Oh, utilize this forum and pick the brains of the "experienced" contractors. Visit their web sites to see their work and learn about their company. Never take advice from people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. They will make you hate water features reeeeeal fast!

Pittsburgh Stone and Waterscapes

View additional projects at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pittsb...50043198372984
Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I wish I was more busy than you think. Youy best bet is to work for a landscape company to gain field experience and see how the business is ran etc. Before you jump into your own business get the knowledge from someone who has gone through the growing pains. Than when your older and broken down from all the hard labor you can fall back on your journalism degree.
sounds like a plan to me haha. i like the way you think.