Register free!

Old 07-16-2000, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not really a question just sharing some info on how the Germans here do their paver work or puzzlestones as they call it. Like I've mentioned before they use them EVERYWHERE!! where as its more of a luxury to have at a home in the states. I saw one awesome design that I loved at a car wash, I'm going to take a pic of it if I remember to one of these days. It was using 3 different shades of grey to make a 3-D pattern that brought to mind the game Q-Bert. Looked unreal, really caught my attention and played some games with my eyes!!<p>But anyway I've worked along side some of the local Germans when they do their sidewalks here and I don't like 1 step they do in the wrong order (at least I think its wrong!, but opinions are like......... you know the rest!) Theydon't use a underblock retainer for the edge; they use 1 to 3 inch concrete edges, either poured or precast and placed into a concrete bed on both sides BEFORE they lay any pavers. It makes for a lot more unnecesarry cutting and fitting then if you worked off one edge. I think it makes their jobs look a little $hitty because of all the tiny wedges and cuts that didn't really need to be there. On top of it they don't take much care into it, I guess thats a difference we have because its much more common to them. Just wondering if anyone else would rather work inside a box then box your work when your done??<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-16-2000, 11:31 PM
Lawnsite Addict

guido, we do alot of our work in parks that have poured concrete edgingyes would like to use a flexabile edge restrant but you have to go with what they want you to bid. a soldier course helps reduice the amount of small paver cuts that show up at the edge. <p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 07-20-2000, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well I sent away for that info pack on brick edging from Oly-Ola, I remember them sending me a awesome package a while back about landscape bed edges, even had a 6&quot; sample of all the different styles. I wonder how these edges will hold up to public use?? I assumes not as good as the concret, but maybet they'll prove my doughts wrong, who knows?<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti