Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What type of OIL do you use?
5w30 Regular 1 2.70%
5w30 Synthetic 5 13.51%
10w30 Regular 10 27.03%
10w30 Synthetic 12 32.43%
Other 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've found that 75-90 gear lube is the way to go for all my machinery.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendave View Post
If your equipment is so old and tired that it needs thicker oil to run properly, then I would submit you have bigger problems than oil can 'fix.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendave View Post
And how about if YOU read the owner's manual for the engine and FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS for PROPER oil usage.
Look you need to lay off. You got everything side tracked because of your BS negativity because I use a different oil.

My equipment runs fine, did you not read that, or you probably misinterpreted that. You run thicker oil in and engine to reduce oil consumption.

Now, if I had a brand new or gently used machine and was using it, I would run the specified oil that is designed for it such as 10W30 or straight 30. But, used equipment i have done that in the past, it does not work, it burns oil, not a lot, but I don't want to have to keep putting oil in it so I choose a thicker weight to reduce.

Talk to nosparkplugs on here, he will tell you the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
greendave, I agree with you. I continue to be astonished at this question. Every owner's manual provides the specifications for oil to be used, yet the question still arises. Yes, I ask the same question: Why are you mowing lawns if your expertise in lubrication engineering is better than those who design the engines, and those who warranty them? An engineer who has responsibility for the design and creation of specifications certainly has a better paying position than mowing grass. How does somebody get smart about these matters by following a lawn mower all day?
And the diesel oil is severe duty and is actually approved for air cooled engines....dont be so quick to dis Mudder.....Ive been using it for years and never had an oil failure...Shell rottella 15/40 user here also

Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass_cuttin_fool View Post
And the diesel oil is severe duty and is actually approved for air cooled engines....dont be so quick to dis Mudder.....Ive been using it for years and never had an oil failure...Shell rottella 15/40 user here also
Approved by who, the oil company or the engine MFG.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

My CC Tank with a 23hp Kawi reocmmends 15w-40 Shell Rimula which is basically a premium version of rotella. I've not used 'diesel' oils in a non-diesel before but CC CS sweares thats what I should use.
Furthermore, I know a bunch of Yammi FJR owners I ride with who have used nothing but Rotella in their 4 cylinder engines for 100k plus miles and swear by it.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Approved by who, the oil company or the engine MFG.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im not getting into a pissin contest here....unless you are in canada and operating in a colder climate about any oil will do.....diesel oils are just formulated for higher engine temps, and the make up of the oil is designed to catch and trap dirt and soot better than conventional car oils.... The fleet garage I worked for....the Mobil one, cheveron, castrol and shell reps told me the same thing and recommended me to a diesel oil for my mowers.....4000 hours total on my machines....Im a believer

Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvolfan1 View Post
My CC Tank with a 23hp Kawi reocmmends 15w-40 Shell Rimula which is basically a premium version of rotella. I've not used 'diesel' oils in a non-diesel before but CC CS sweares thats what I should use.
Furthermore, I know a bunch of Yammi FJR owners I ride with who have used nothing but Rotella in their 4 cylinder engines for 100k plus miles and swear by it.
Thats what they recommend for the hydraulics....not the engine.

Kawasaki recomends straight 30.

I cant vote as you dont have SAE 30 in your list.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
Look you need to lay off. You got everything side tracked because of your BS negativity because I use a different oil.

You're the one who started replying in caps, my friend. I didn't sidetrack anything with my BS negativity, I was pointing out for the less experienced here that straying from manufacturer recommended oils can have unwanted side effects if you don't understand what's going on. One size does not fill all with today's ICE's.

My equipment runs fine, did you not read that, or you probably misinterpreted that. You run thicker oil in and engine to reduce oil consumption.

Sounds to me like you're covering up a mechanical problem. If you want to, you can. I don't recommend it, and I can't ever recall reading that in an owner's manual either. You did also state in one early post that your engine "ran rough," and the wording inferred that the oil viscosity was the cause, and that putting in thicker oil in 'fixed' the problem.

Now, if I had a brand new or gently used machine and was using it, I would run the specified oil that is designed for it such as 10W30 or straight 30. But, used equipment i have done that in the past, it does not work, it burns oil, not a lot, but I don't want to have to keep putting oil in it so I choose a thicker weight to reduce.

Good enough.

Talk to nosparkplugs on here, he will tell you the same thing.

He's a tribologist or engine designer?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I've found that 75-90 gear lube is the way to go for all my machinery.
I like your style.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mostly use 10W-40 semi-synthetic or 10W-30. Like the first one much better. 10W-30 turns dark really fast, like it can't handle the heat of air cooled engines, consumption also is much higher. At the scheduled oil change 10W-40 looks and smells better (not scientific I know) and my 36" WB is doing fine after about 1500hrs with this oil.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Tags
filter , oil , type