Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What type of OIL do you use?
5w30 Regular 1 2.70%
5w30 Synthetic 5 13.51%
10w30 Regular 10 27.03%
10w30 Synthetic 12 32.43%
Other 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

greendave, you need to look over everything one more time. First of all, "ran rough", the equipment was run rough meaning it was used hard when other people had it before me. get it? Used hard, abused, ran till the wheels fell off. Simple.

All caps in the wording, started on your post first of all, Number 3, go take a look. Your post with the 2 words "WHY" and "NOT". You see any caps other than for punctuation in number 2 post, didn't think so. Ya, you may see some caps in mine later down the thread but thats expanatory.

Why did I start off by saying what i use, no one said what specific model of engine it was going in, how many hours did it have, and was it a new or used model.

We don't have to be engineers to put a certain oil in a machine. If it works and runs to it's full potential, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
greendave, you need to look over everything one more time. First of all, "ran rough", the equipment was run rough meaning it was used hard when other people had it before me. get it? Used hard, abused, ran till the wheels fell off. Simple.

All caps in the wording, started on your post first of all, Number 3, go take a look. Your post with the 2 words "WHY" and "NOT". You see any caps other than for punctuation in number 2 post, didn't think so. Ya, you may see some caps in mine later down the thread but thats expanatory.

Why did I start off by saying what i use, no one said what specific model of engine it was going in, how many hours did it have, and was it a new or used model.

We don't have to be engineers to put a certain oil in a machine. If it works and runs to it's full potential, then so be it.
"The equipment that I have some of it was used when I bought, lots of hours, ran rough."
This phrase, from one of your posts reads as though the equipment ran rough, as in did not run smoothly. Your choice of words didn't convey the thought that it was mistreated, or not well cared for - to me, anyway.

"Why did I start off by saying what i use, no one said what specific model of engine it was going in, how many hours did it have, and was it a new or used model."
And this statement you made was what I was driving at with my first post: the wholesale endorsement of something not recommended without qualification, as you did in your first reply.

And yes, I capitalized 'why' and 'not' for emphasis. You, however, capitalized your words for other purposes. And, when someone replies with a "WTF", and we all know what it means, it sets a negative and defensive tone that just sends these threads down the toilet.

Let's just agree to disagree, and leave it at that.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my old Honda manuals for the GX200 specifies 10W-40, so that's what I've been using for all my 4 cycle engines. Valvoline Premium is the brand I use.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Thats what they recommend for the hydraulics....not the engine.

Kawasaki recomends straight 30.

I cant vote as you dont have SAE 30 in your list.
No, seriously...the Kawi Manual that came with the Tank indicates that I should use 10w-30. The Tank manual from CC indicates that 15w-40 Rimula is preferred but that 10w-30 is fine. I contacted Cub Care about it and they said Rimula was recommended for both the hydraulics and engine itself. My local CC dealer said the same thing as well.

I agree though that 10w-30 feels right and will probably switch to that at the next interval.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
One of my old Honda manuals for the GX200 specifies 10W-40, so that's what I've been using for all my 4 cycle engines. Valvoline Premium is the brand I use.
If Honda says it's good for one specific application of theirs, what would make it better than what is spec'd, for say, a (insert unit here)?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys, there is some great reading on this site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
I'm sure there's others, too.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

the sythetic rotella diesel oil 5-40w is good for gas motros with more hours or miles because the clearences are larger in the cylinder so the thicker oil helps lubricate better. Never had any problems with this oil all of our motors run good.
86 Ford F250 - 87 Chevy k30 Leaf Truck Diesel
07 Chevy OBS 3500 Duramax - 06 Chevy 2500 duramax
2 Kubota ZD 21 60" - Kubota ZD326
4 Ferris Comfort Control DD 60"
Kubota GF1800 w/sweeper
+ A lot More Kubota tractors - Shindaiwa blowers ant trimmers plus some echo trimmers
+ snowplows, sanders, snowblowers, chainsaws, chipper
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't touch the oils with a lowly & rediculous 5w in it!(unless it's winter,
then it's 0 weights)
I run 10w40's only. In my blazers manual it reads: use 5w30 only, to which i been laughing at for the last +decade, 10w40's only (for summer usage) in all my combustables!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

10w 30 in the winter, 10w 40 in spring- summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I've found that 75-90 gear lube is the way to go for all my machinery.
I actually did this in a ring/piston blown'n CT70 to seal it up..worked good for another month, then i sold it for $150.

Tags
filter , oil , type