Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2002, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Full Time Job and a Part Time Lawn Service

Hey this a good idea to a full time job and have a part time lawn service I got idea where I can take the money I earn from working and buy the tools I need to get started.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing this right now. It is tough... very tough.. Working all day, working till dark, trying to drive more business. I too am driving all the money i make back into the business. I have a 3 yr old. Not getting to see her as much is the tough part.

Good Luck
Old 04-30-2002, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is my third season to be doing it part time. I work second shift for my primary job so it's alittle easier. I haven't been able to see my two girls much which is a down side. My wife knows I want to make this a full time thing but it will take time.

It's worth it in some ways. Just weigh out the family time missed with the money.

Scot
Old 05-01-2002, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

This is the exact reason i am doing this while i am young so that my biz is established and i have a platform to build from but am working in an opposite direction i am working to make money so that in the future i can make this part time and have a full career cause if i was not i can make it in the green industry without spending 27,000$ a year to figure that out, also working towards taking over my father practice as a financial advisor, have seen that this job is also flexible so i can make both work
AK Lawn
Old 05-01-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been in business for 4 years, the first 2 being in the same situation full time day job and part time lawn service at night, Everything I made was put back into top qaulity equipment,
In the middle of the third season I decided that working for an employer was no longer in my best interest I had enough customers to just scrape by, This season I have seen a 100% + growth in secured business, The only safety net is my own desire to succeed, Lawn site has been a great resource for information in regards to my success in making the transition to full time as a business owner / operator
Old 05-05-2002, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After 6 years of working part-time at lawn care. I have made the decission of going full-time. In my present job I manage a farm retail store, have been doing this for the last 16 years. It going to be hard to give up a $40,000 plus job.
I have been building the business every year. Expanding into the mowing and landscaping more and more.
I started in the business by just spraying yards. The first round of application will gross more than my first entire year.

Working two full-time jobs is for the birds. I have got two guys that help from time to time. This really has been a life savior.

The goal is almost met. Just riding the last ride.

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 05-05-2002, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys have the right idea about starting a lawncare business. I have seen guys quit a decent job, start their LCO and sell or quit 2 years later. The best way to do it is to do it part time and buy all the equipment you want and pay it off. You should do this for 2 years minimum. You will learn all the ups and downs of the greens industry. You also need a solid business plan. If you are used to a $40,000 income, you may need to produce $70,000 to $100,000 depending on your expenses to net that kind of spendable cash. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2002, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey I am going to start out with Snapper Lawn Mowers, and Echo Timmers,Edgers, and Blowers.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Scotlawncare
No money is worth not seeing your kids grow up, none.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I started out when I was 15. I liked it so much that I was going to make it my life career. I went to college majoring in Horticulture. I applied for a job with the park service as a Gardener. I got hired and have been there 3 years now.I work four ten hour days and have 3 days off to run my business. Looking bac k now that has been th ebest move ever. I have gone on training to benifit the park but it also benifits my business I 'm now working on being a fire fighter so I can work 2 days a week and have 5 off. I'm a wildland fire fighter for the park as well. It's nice having your own business, but you don't get all the benifits working for yourself. In landscaping in the North east, you really can't depend on snow for money. that s all i have to say

Tom