Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2002, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i cut grass from 9 am till 2:30, come home, shower, and go to my job till midnight. been doin this 7 yrs, IM DYING! plan on quitting the full time job by may, 2003
Old 05-20-2002, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Addict

There is alot of people here doing this.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I just graduated friday from P/T to full time... This is my first season out on my own, and I was easily making more landscaping than I was stocking shelves at the grocery store (I recently moved to a crappy little town that seems to think nepetism rules)

I started out this spring with a MTD 21" mower, Poulan pro Trimmer and a weed eater blower. And a lot of rental equipment (rented br400 and br420s, a ryan power rake, Ryan LA28 aerator, and an occasional Stihl Chainsaw)

I had to invest in some lighting equipment (2 halogen shop lights on a stand, plus a headlamp for my brainbucket), because most days I would do landscaping work until 9pm when the noise bylaw kicked in. Then I'd dig out the pruning gear and have at a few trees. There were a few days I worked until after midnight.

Was it hard? Yep, exhausting? Yep... But it put enough $ in the bank, built up my reputation for doing excellent work. And now I can work my a$$ off all day doing what I love, an making a decent living doing it. And I can spend my evenings with the family, instead of climbing trees I'll still be working long hours, Start at 6:30ish (on the first lawn by 7) home around 8-9. But I'm still pushing to get the $ in the bank to buy more and better equipment and fund my off-season activities

Andrew
Old 05-20-2002, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, Andrew, you said it. "I'm doing what I love". Now isn't that what its all about? There are ups and downs to every job. There are some real "downs" to this type of work, but... if you can get up and be somewhat excited about the day ahead, you're way ahead of most people!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You must put your children first. No $$$ is worth a day away from the people who make you who you are. Dont let them grow up with out you.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all of you. I too work full time and cut part time. About 4 years now. We just had our first child. That little girl is all I can think about these days. I want to cut full time but I'm chicken to give up the time with my family, give up the bennys, and the security of a regular consistent paycheck.
You can see that by my post in the commercial forum that I recently had all of my equipment stolen. I have really had a hard time with it. There is 2 things about it that are good. 1) it was all paid for and (2) I have actually been enjoying the additional time with my girl. I have a residential that another cutter is going to do for me until I have decided to do it or not. My only commercial is one that I have a partnership with and he will be ok doing that with his crew. I could at this point just call it good and enjoy the summer with my fam.
It wouldn't be very long( about 2 weeks) before I was Jonesin' to cut some grass, but I am starting to think more about the way my daughter might turn out if her Dad isn't around as much as he could be.

Life used to be a lot more simple.

The jury is still out and it will be interesting to see what I end up doing.
Old 05-25-2002, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rixtag

Grass will still be growing later. Take the time with your girl. She on the other hand will not be growing later. Be part of her life now. In this busy world its easy to get tied up a overlook what should be the most important thing in or life. FAMILY

R.T.C
James