Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

what if there was no Pre M applied and Round up was applied would a week be suffice to aerate and seed fescue. Or is more time needed?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO THANK YOU GUYS.....!! ARMED WITH ALL YOUR GREAT INFO MY LAWN CARE SERVICE **AGREED ** THAT THE PRE M THEY PUT DOWN ON MY BERMUDA WILL LAST ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND WOULD AFFECT THE GERMINATION OF THE FESCUE SEEDS I WANTED TO PUT DOWN!

I have a bermuda front lawn and a fesue backyard and fesue on both sides... so im going to have them come out and just aerate and overseed the back and sides next week and then I'll have to work on replacing the bermuda next year............

QUESTION:
can i start this process in EARLY SPRING 2010? lets say I try to RoundUp my bermuda front yard around Feburary 2009 then overseed - OR - would roundup not work if the bermuda is still dormant? Would bermuda still be dormant in Feburary??

if Feb 2010 wont work then WHEN should I start to try and kill off the bermuda in the front yard? would roundup work? would another product work better....? I'll want to overseed with fescue as EARLY as possible ( Sept 1, 2010 )
Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
first of all i want to thank you guys.....!! Armed with all your great info my lawn care service **agreed ** that the pre m they put down on my bermuda will last about 3 months and would affect the germination of the fescue seeds i wanted to put down!

I have a bermuda front lawn and a fesue backyard and fesue on both sides... So im going to have them come out and just aerate and overseed the back and sides next week and then i'll have to work on replacing the bermuda next year............

Question:
Can i start this process in early spring 2010? Lets say i try to roundup my bermuda front yard around feburary 2009 then overseed - or - would roundup not work if the bermuda is still dormant? Would bermuda still be dormant in feburary??

If feb 2010 wont work then when should i start to try and kill off the bermuda in the front yard? Would roundup work? Would another product work better....? I'll want to overseed with fescue as early as possible ( sept 1, 2010 )
round up will not work on dormant grass...u will need to wait for the grass to green up then spray off your grass to get your process started....go ahead and put down your preemergent about four weeks before your bermuda starts to green up if you do not do this you will just get weeds when you dig it all out...then let it all green up that will take about a month.. Spray it off i use finale but an earlier poster mention a good program too... It will take 2-3 apps about 10 days apart to get it all...that should give u the time to get 3 months past the peremergent application....pull it out..over seed and fertilize then water til its green...there is also a product that gets rid of bermuda in fescue grass...it is called acclaim extra...if u went this way you would do everything as above except spray the acclaim instead of roundup...then 3 months after the preemergent you can begin to fertilze and overseed and the bermuda will just begin to die out...the acclaim has to be applied monthly for 4 months and then repeated the following year to get rid of it all...just a couple of possible ideas hope this helps a little
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The proven protocol to selectively remove bermuda from cool season grasses is Acclaim + Turflon ester applied monthly. Also, bermuda tends to be more aggressive in lawns that are mowed too short, fertilized with too much N and potassium and not watered enough. Of course, I take the appearance of bermuda as a sign that the cool season grass is not able to deal with the stress of the warm part of the year.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks - I've never heard of ACCLAIM & TURFLON before. I'll do some research on these products and see what they're all about ....

LAST QUESTION:

Since the last Pre M application to the bermuda lawn was Sept 11 & it last approx 3 months .. I wonder if it would just be better to TILL UP THE GROUND maybe in Feb 2010 and start from FESCUE SEED from there...? Hopefully the ground is "soft enough" in Feb in Atlanta, GA to till up all the bermuda while its still dormant ,, get it all out and then reseed with fescue seed in early February and have it establish itself all March/April/May before the summer kicks in...???

does this sound doable or would the ACCLAIM & TURFLON treatment in the late summer be better??
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
thanks - I've never heard of ACCLAIM & TURFLON before. I'll do some research on these products and see what they're all about ....

LAST QUESTION:

Since the last Pre M application to the bermuda lawn was Sept 11 & it last approx 3 months .. I wonder if it would just be better to TILL UP THE GROUND maybe in Feb 2010 and start from FESCUE SEED from there...? Hopefully the ground is "soft enough" in Feb in Atlanta, GA to till up all the bermuda while its still dormant ,, get it all out and then reseed with fescue seed in early February and have it establish itself all March/April/May before the summer kicks in...???

does this sound doable or would the ACCLAIM & TURFLON treatment in the late summer be better??

u will not get it all that way....u will then be committed to the A&T program....remember thta program is a suppression control program...it is a little like chemotherapy...u are absolutely going to have to apply it every 30 days for four months probably starting first or second week of May in Georgia
then the same thing the next year u r chemically pounding out the bermuda......if u wait until it greens up then u can actually kill the plant...both work...u figure the rightplan for you...good luck
Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

did some home work on these products........... you guys are a wealth of knowledge..........

ACCLAIM -vs- TURFLON ESTER - vs- ORNAMEC

which one is the best for my needs.... remember - I have a bermuda lawn that I'm trying to turn into a fesue lawn... since my lawn care company treated it with pre m on Sept 11th and that treatment last 3 months I'm screwed and unable to try and kill and overseed with fescue this year... I'll have to wait til next year.....

comparing all 3 of these products above... if none of these say they affect FESCUE GRASS how soon after I apply these can I overseed my lawn with fescue.?? Im trying to come up with a game plan schedule and be ready to next year....... 3-4 monthly applications seem to be key but WHEN should I start and HOW SOON AFTER LAST APPLICATION can I begin to overseed..... I want to get my fescue seeds down by September 2010........
Old 09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
did some home work on these products........... you guys are a wealth of knowledge..........

ACCLAIM -vs- TURFLON ESTER - vs- ORNAMEC

which one is the best for my needs.... remember - I have a bermuda lawn that I'm trying to turn into a fesue lawn... since my lawn care company treated it with pre m on Sept 11th and that treatment last 3 months I'm screwed and unable to try and kill and overseed with fescue this year... I'll have to wait til next year.....

comparing all 3 of these products above... if none of these say they affect FESCUE GRASS how soon after I apply these can I overseed my lawn with fescue.?? Im trying to come up with a game plan schedule and be ready to next year....... 3-4 monthly applications seem to be key but WHEN should I start and HOW SOON AFTER LAST APPLICATION can I begin to overseed..... I want to get my fescue seeds down by September 2010........
I dont know ornamec...in my experience turflon is usually used mixed with either acclaim extra or fusilade....i wouldnt over think it....acclaim extra will work for your needs u can mix it with the turflon...this increases the spectrum of the suppression control..u can plant the fescue in your area anytime after the first of the year as soon as you are sure the temp is not going below freezing aymore startyour acclaim program in mid may and continue it for 4 consecutive months..dont forget to do it again in 2011 no preemergent untill end of next summer..you will need to use a post emergent for spot treatment until then.....i think this covers it...good luck
Old 09-26-2009, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Turflon Ester is used to enhance the effect of the grass killer on the bermuda and also reduce the phytotoxicity to the desired turf species. Acclaim alone can be rather harsh, especially after more than one application in a year. Turflon minimizes this effect.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Silly question, but why doesn't your present LCO know this protocol and why has he not sold it to you? Instead of just spreading fertilizers and Pre-M, which does little to stop bermuda.

Tags
bermuda , fescue , overseed , roundup