Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Edging Flower Beds

Hi all of you out there. I just wanted some input or some advise. I do a lot of flower bed edging and lately my edging has not been looking real professional. I'm not sure what the problem is. The method I'm using is I use a water hose to outline the edge and take my half moon and go about 3 to 4 inches into the ground and then from inside the flower bed I move in 3 inches and dig at a 45 deg angle toward the outside of the bed. Am I doing something wrong? Should I start using a stick edger or rent a bed edger. I also thought about trying the Baxter perfect edge I stumbled across on the internet at http://www.baxtersperfectedge.com
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Well..... what looks bad about yours. The technique sounds like you should be fine. Post a pic.

The link you provide is for another look altogether from what I could see.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Terrapro.... whatchoo talkin' bout?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I cant really help you on the look, but i have a suggestion about using the hose thing, as it didnt work for me. What i use is a chalk box, or some thin rope and tie it tight to 2 screwdrives and push them into the ground. I think its easier and you dont need to wory about moving the hose by accident. Oh, and for trees and if you need to make a circle, place a mark on the rope for the distance of the cirle you want, tie it to the tree, and just walk around it while sprinkiling down some flour so you have a percise mark to dig aloong. when your done edging, you can hose the flour or blow it in the dirt, NOT THE NEW MULCH if you laid mulch. Help this could help you shread some time on your edging, evern if it wasent your actual question.
stihl hand helds
Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Once I determine my lines, I drag my edger backwards through the sod to make my initial cut. Then it's time to bust out the shovel...
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This perfect edge system is not only totally unnecessary, but would be a complete waste of alot of valuable time, as well. The same thing can be accomplished with the half moon edgers, a flat spade, or better yet, a power edger or bed edger. The layout and design is only a small part of the edging job. The trenching is the majority of it. All this work just to lay out a line....please....
I wouldn't waste my money on this stuff even if it DID look like it had any valuable looking designs. Stick to the hose and spade method, and just practice a little bit. There is no reason why this can't be done like it always has.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
This perfect edge system is not only totally unnecessary, but would be a complete waste of alot of valuable time, as well. The same thing can be accomplished with the half moon edgers, a flat spade, or better yet, a power edger or bed edger. The layout and design is only a small part of the edging job. The trenching is the majority of it. All this work just to lay out a line....please....
I wouldn't waste my money on this stuff even if it DID look like it had any valuable looking designs. Stick to the hose and spade method, and just practice a little bit. There is no reason why this can't be done like it always has.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

i was wondering if any of u had any pic u can post of using the methods u have described or a brief clip
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I still don't understand what the hose is for, do you leave it on the ground and use it as a guide to cut along or what? I thougt you just cut at the edge of the grass.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)