Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up Invisible Pet Fence Are A NIghtmare????

Hi all

I have several customers with these fences and have on numerous occasions while edging the driveways and sidewalks cut the wires, through no fault of my own, in that the installers do not have any consideration for us lawn guys and bury the cable right where we edge (lazy B-------). Anyway my customers have been very compassionate toward me and taken on paying the IF installers $200 + to repair, themselves.

In the meantime i thought wow i cant let them do that why not pay me to find the break instead -- Just kidding.

I was doing some research on the net and found a great site that explains a very economical way of DIY wire break finding. Hope it may be of use to some of you in the future.

Oh it works great

http://www.instructables.com/id/How_...ble_dog_fence/
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you find it and repair it , put it in irrigation funny pipe so next time you will not break it again.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Good idea, thanx
Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks

That is pretty cool.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

your edger just might shred through funny pipe as well! just make sure to bury it deep
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. DIY, do it right and be done with it. Charge an "irritation fee" and - Hold them accountable...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That must be really irritating, luckily none of my customers have that.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gorad,
A longgggggg time ago, we installed these idiotic pain in the butt pet systems. We used the expansion crack in the driveway to cut across and used the self leveling rubber to cover the wire along the crack. This tecnique was less costly than cutting into the driveway and repairing the seal. It usually isn't hard to find the break if that is where the system crosses to follow the look around the lawn..!! I agree that there isn't really any easy way to install these barrier wires, but it is no worse off than low voltage wiring systems. It is customary to follow a straight concrete line....just as sprinkler heads do!!!!! It isn't the customers fault of protecting their property with invisible pet containment systems, however, they could have mentioned it to you before the work was done.. Once the dog is trained to stay withing the barrier, those lawn flags are removed before we arrive---you know!!? It isn't like there is a big sign in the front lawn that says--pet containment systems. We used to try and sell the large lawn signs.....people didn't want the ugly sign in their lawns. It is funny that they will pay good money for the metal sign that tells the world that they have a burglar alarm only to find out it is a dummy sign!!! LOL!!
The AM/FM radio and pulsator work for the most part on small sytems, but on a large scale lawn.................it don't work efficiently. That is why they offer commercial locator's for around 1200.00 for the professional pet systems. The one's we installed were not from Lowe's and Home Depot. These things were around 1,000.00 just for the module.!!
To answer your question.........it is a PITB!!
If you weren't notified beforehand, in the future it is wise to ask all sorts of questions before you do any type of digging, tilling, edging,etc. It may make the customer frustrated, but it protects your pocket book and reputation.