Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone else have a sulky but walks instead?

Lately I have been trying to walk most of my yards even though my velke is hanging there waiting to be used! I do this because its better exercise than just standing on the velke and sometimes after riding a big yard, My feet get stiff from just standing there! I need to drop around 15lbs and they say walking is one of the best ways to drop excess weight? I can do this right now cause its not too busy, but I doubt I could get them all done without riding during peak times. I also try to set the hydros fairly quick so I do get a good workout. Anyone else doing this? I wonder how long it will take to burn the extra weight? I have also switched from regular coke to diet Mtn. Dew, Diet coke tastes like crap but the diewt mtn. dew tastes just like regular dew I think and still has the caffiene which I need! A doc told me that one 12oz. coke is equal to 15 sugar cookies!!! I couldnt believe that! sugar will put the weight on very fast.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can kick coca cola no problemo. But the ice cold brewskies are my weakness! Every Wednesday after we cut our 50 lawns I get an ICE cold 30 pack for my guys and I!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you should be able to drop the weight pretty quickly. try switching to water and the weight will also drop pretty quickly
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You might want to find another doctor , even a small sugar cookie would be about 50 calories. 15 would be 750, and acan of coke is what, 250 calories? Maybe he didn't do so well in math.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a sulky and find my self walking more because of the exercise and the ground being soft the small wheels of the sulky create ruts
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a sullky sitting in my garage for my 48 that has a flat tire. its a $10 fix, i just havent had the time to get it fixed. the walking doesnt bother me much though
5'x16' utility trailer
48" Exmark hydro 14kaw
48" Ferris Belt Drive Walk-Behind 14H.P. kAW
36" Exmark Belt Drive 14H.P. kOHLER
Stihl FS 55 (x2)
Stihl FS 90
Stihl BG 86C
Tanaka B/P

30 weekly accts. many more soon to come

I NEED A SIERRA DURAMAX 3/4 TON!!! Around 100-150k would be ideal..
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes walking is definitely good. It is very hard to loose weight through exercise only. Learning to drop the sugar in your diet and getting used to there not being as much in your bloodstream is the hard part. Read the South Beach Diet, you don't have to follow it word per word but it teaches you a lot. I dropped 20 lbs and kept it off, it's not a diet, just a way of life. Learning to do without much bread, pasta, refined flour, sugar, etc (all the good stuff). Pretty let most of your diet be lean meat, vegetables, and whole grains. No juice or sugared drinks.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check the grams of sugar in a can of soda its like 40 plus grams of sugar. I have kicked the regular soda kick with Coke Zero cherry. I have lost about 10 lbs on just switching from regular soda to diet and doing nothing else new.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I need to drop around 15lbs and they say walking is one of the best ways to drop excess weight? I have also switched from regular coke to diet Mtn. Dew, Diet coke tastes like crap but the diet mtn. dew tastes just like regular dew I think and still has the caffiene which I need! A doc told me that one 12oz. coke is equal to 15 sugar cookies!!! I couldnt believe that! sugar will put the weight on very fast.
The walking part is good. Just buy a good pedometer, set it up for your gate and when it gets to 10,000 steps per day then you can ride the sulky. Also you should probably drink only one diet Mtn. Dew in the morning for the caffiene and switch to water after that. Drinking carbonated drinks causes fluid retention. Water is best, but I understand the need for the caffiene. The Doc was probably right about the cookies.....

Last edited by GraZHopA; 09-16-2009 at 04:59 PM.