Register free!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Up here in Arkansas, we have had serious outbreaks of Crab and Dallis in the 419 fields.
Out of each piece on the pallet, you can see 3-4 sprouts and stems of these weeds.
The seeds are already present in the upper inch of that sod. They will wait until the Bermuda starts to root because it takes about that long for them to start as well.
Around here, before the sod is cut from the fields, they reel mow it......just to get rid of the odd weeds like these. You can't tell when the sod is mowed low......then when new growth starts.............so does the weeds. Preemerge's aren't as redily used in the sod fields. To keep their costs at a minimal, they apply least as possible. High quality sod farms take good care of their sod, but the cost of a pallet reflects the overhead.
Where is the happy medium??
WOW, this would not be tolerated on Long Island. The sod farms out here are 99% weed free.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
Hello I purchased a new home this spring and they put new Bermuda sod on the whole lot its in north eastern Oklahoma. I have watered and maintained it regularly. Early when the grass started growing I had some weeds that would come up I would pull them daily. Well with the heat of summer they got away with me. Now I have some type of weed all over my yard. It grows like a vine kinda like burmuda but I don't know what it is. Can you tell me what it is and the best way to get rid of it. Also fall is coming on any tips on what I should do to the yard this fall and next spring so I only have healthy grass and no weeds. Thanks.

Pictures below are one of good sod. Next is sod with weed. Next is Weed stood up and the vines pulled out of bermuda. Last is the weed pulled on the pavement. Thanks!

Blaken
I have a recommendation for you. You should most definitely using a quality fertilizer. Then take that stuff DOWN to the ground nearly. I see more brown stem than i do green leaf. Bermuda is strange and takes a little getting use to when mowing it. But it has a stem above the ground and then the green leaf. So get rid of alot of the stem and let the leaf grow. Basically what i did was set my mower two notches lower than what i wanted to normally mow at and scalped it so to speak. Then mowed it in a few days one position higher and then another few days at the height i wanted. Now it looks so much better. Just my thoughts. i know that is off topic but i am just trying to help you out. Also if you mow more frequently like ever 4 days or something you actually train the grass to not grow vertically as much as horizontally. This makes for a yard that is thicker and more lush.

Jonathan

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

there are still plenty of warm days left around here. Tulsa isn't that much different. Why wouldn't you go ahead and hit it with msma now?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnTX View Post
there are still plenty of warm days left around here. Tulsa isn't that much different. Why wouldn't you go ahead and hit it with msma now?
It may yellow it...a little. Knock it back...a little. But what's the point. Unless we're expected to bump 90 again for an extended period, it's a waste of time and material because it won't kill it. Not to mention the fact that it's not a very environmentally sound practice. Most, not all people are understanding that weather, specifically temperatures have to be in the right range for the herbicide to work. I am further south than Tulsa and see no point in spraying it at this time. JMO

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
WOW, this would not be tolerated on Long Island. The sod farms out here are 99% weed free.
Nor would this be tolerated in Hawaii. Sod is bought with the expectation that it is the stated cultivar and there is zero contamination by weeds or wild grasses. Which is not asking too much considering what a sq ft of bermuda goes for here. $2.25 or more.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey that looks just like my yard! The sad part is I put out a pre emergent for crabgrass circa march, I guess it was too late because it's everywhere.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

March is about 8 weeks to late. LoL. Pre m should be sprayed in late january or very early February in alabama and georgia. Don't forget to winterize and spray pre emergence at the end of this month or else your gonna have alot of pesky winter weeds. Bermuda gets lots of weeds when maintained at higher levels because it isn't as dense as if it were reel mowed.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Ooops! Yeah I had no idea march was too late. I'll definitely put down the winterizer and pre emergence if it ever quits raining here in GA. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser2587 View Post
Ooops! Yeah I had no idea march was too late. I'll definitely put down the winterizer and pre emergence if it ever quits raining here in GA. Thanks for your help!
You have more headed your way. It just started back today at 5.30 pm. We have been dry since yesterday morning until now. UGH... I am tired of all the rain it is going on two weeks of rain. and still 60% most of the week. Good luck with your bermuda. Read read read... What kind of Pre M are you using?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I meant the end of october not the end of september. I was thinking it was already October.