Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like he can buy Prodiamine too.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdoctor1 View Post

If you have a 1/4 acre lot, you can hire a pro for $300 a year. And, you are going to be much better off in the long run.
I don't mind hiring a pro as long as I get pro results. Two guys that live right by me used a large chain company in Tulsa last year. They have white trucks with green writing is all I will say. They had little blue flowers and clover and all kinds of stuff growing after multiple applications. Complete waste of money imo. So how do I know if someone is for real or not? Do I need spraying a couple times a month? Or just twice during the year? Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Yep yep... Mid Sept/Mid Oct 5-10-20 Pre M or 0-0-7 Dimension. You can pick it us at Lesco. It is all granular so you get a quality spreader and set it up correctly. I have more info i can share with you if needed. Look at sandmantopdressing.com
Ok so now is the time for me to do treat my lawn this year correct?

I had a so called pro come out in spring and put down 0-0-7 dimension from lesco but I think he did it to late because I had grab grass and weeds so bad I had to spot treat all over with Ortho. Then I think I put it on two strong in spots as certain parts of my yard never got as thick and green as places I didn't treat.

Anyway its mid September I still have some grabgrass and some stuff that shoots up in little stalks like a green onion in places. I have a spreader so do I just need to get some more lesco and have at it? Also what lesco for next spring as a pre-emergent?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You are several hours north of me so you might be a tad late, but I do not know what your temps have been. To really do it right you need to put down a pre-m for cool season broadleaves like Gallery and a pre-m for cool season grassy weeds [Poa] like the Pendi. If you have not fertilized in a while I would get the Fert & Pre-M combo from Lesco and then get some Gallery. I bet the onion looking weed you are describing is Nut Sedge.
Mid Feb or early March is when you want to apply the Dimension for the Crabgrass and again around June. If you can find some Prodiamine granular for your spreader I would use it instead of the Dimension because of the longer life.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
You are several hours north of me so you might be a tad late, but I do not know what your temps have been. To really do it right you need to put down a pre-m for cool season broadleaves like Gallery and a pre-m for cool season grassy weeds [Poa] like the Pendi. If you have not fertilized in a while I would get the Fert & Pre-M combo from Lesco and then get some Gallery. I bet the onion looking weed you are describing is Nut Sedge.
Mid Feb or early March is when you want to apply the Dimension for the Crabgrass and again around June. If you can find some Prodiamine granular for your spreader I would use it instead of the Dimension because of the longer life.
ITs been in low 90s hi and around 70s as low. A few days a couple weeks ago were cooler. What temps am I looking for?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
ITs been in low 90s hi and around 70s as low. A few days a couple weeks ago were cooler. What temps am I looking for?
You just want to be sure that you get it down and watered in before the seeds germinate. I cannot remember the exact soil temps but since you have still been in the 90's you should be safe if you go ahead and do it now. I have several more I need to do also.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
You just want to be sure that you get it down and watered in before the seeds germinate. I cannot remember the exact soil temps but since you have still been in the 90's you should be safe if you go ahead and do it now. I have several more I need to do also.

Called Lesco today talked to them. They said I was still ok to put it down now. They told me to use 5-10-20 pre-m right now. Then 0-0-7 early next spring before Crabgrass germinates.

So I got a 50# bag of each and put down the 5-10-20 today and watered it in with 1/4 per their instructions.

How long does it normally take to see pre-m start killing stuff. Also for my spreader it said use setting of 5.5-7.25 so I did 6.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Called Lesco today talked to them. They said I was still ok to put it down now. They told me to use 5-10-20 pre-m right now. Then 0-0-7 early next spring before Crabgrass germinates.

So I got a 50# bag of each and put down the 5-10-20 today and watered it in with 1/4 per their instructions.

How long does it normally take to see pre-m start killing stuff. Also for my spreader it said use setting of 5.5-7.25 so I did 6.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, but the pre-m does not kill anything that has already germinated and growing [existing weeds]. What it does is keep weed seeds from germinating [the ones you do not see yet]. If you need to kill what you can see, then you have to use a post emergent weed killer. Personally as far North as you are, I would not worry about trying to kill the Crabgrass you have now because it just has a couple of months left to live anyway. Just be sure to get that 007 pre-m down in the mid Feb to early March [depending on soil temp] to keep the Crabgrass from retuning next season. BTW, if you have sandy soil then use the lower rate of 007 and if you have clay soil use the high rate of 007.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

So Pre-M doesn't kill anything that's growing? So did I even need an application of it now?

I thought the Crabgrass dies each year and that the spring application will kill it when it germinates.

So did I do any good putting it down right now?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
So Pre-M doesn't kill anything that's growing? So did I even need an application of it now?

I thought the Crabgrass dies each year and that the spring application will kill it when it germinates.

So did I do any good putting it down right now?
Fall application helps with Poa and some of the other cool season broadleaves. I generally recommend a Gallery brand pre-m to really help with the broadleaves in the fall and also the pre-m fert combo that you put down for the fall feeding and Poa control.
You are right about the Crabgrass. It does die with a good frost, so the spring app will keep the seeds from germinating. That is why it might be better for you to do some split apps of 007 Dimension instead of the 007Pendi in the spring, because the Dimension pre-m will actually kill early stage Crabgrass that has germinated.
Just remember any Herbicide that has "Pre" in the heading will not do any good on weeds that have already germinated.

Last edited by Turf Dawg; 09-23-2010 at 07:40 PM.