Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Lazer Z Life Span

What would be a normal life span of a Lazer Z with Kohler engine with reasonable care? 3,000hrs? 6,000hrs? I'm thinking about buying used and it seems quite a few are available in the 2-3,000hr range. How much life should be left?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

i have 3900 hours on mine its 2nd motor still ticken i dont know how many hours on the 2nd engine bought it from a dealer for 800 bucks 3 years no problems what so ever i do need to change spindles they are done, my friend has 1 at 2,000 hours still ticken pretty good original engine
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think 6000 hrs is pushing it unless its a diesel
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 5400 on a gas kohler, rebuilt the motor around 2500 and just replaced all the belts
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the ztr has 2000-3000 hours on it, I wouldn't even think about buying it. For me to buy used it has to be under 1000 hours, but I perfer it to be under 500 hours. 2-3000 is just far too many hours. That engine is probably reaching the end of its life, and a kohler engine like that is probably in the $2000 range, which is about what that mower would be worth. Its a whole different story if it has a diesel engine though.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would all depend on what the asking price is, I would suppose. I mean, these machines are all completely rebuildable, so if the chassis structure is alright, and the price is right, it could come out ok (not talking about replacing everything at once - that WOULD cost as much as one without that much use on it).
And that sort of brings is back to the original poster and his question. It all depends on what you refer to as normal life span. To some, they trade theirs in at 1000 hrs.. For others, it may be 2000. For some, they will rebuild the motors, change out the hydros when needed, and replace all the other stuff as it wears. The decks for instance, usually get to needing to be rebuilt at around at around 12 to 1500. By this, I mean the struts, chains, and casters. The spindles - you never really change until they go bad. Some will last only 1000 hrs (or less), while the one next to it could last twice as long. It's one of those unpredictable things...much like electrical (relays, clutch, fuel pumps, starters, etc.). I have friends that have several thousand hours on their Lazers, and these things still cut grass with superior results. Granted, they have had new motors put on them, perhaps a new hydro pump and motor put on here and there, various starters, mufflers, spindles, etc., but that is normal wear and tear.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is why I bought a diesel, then a gas. Traded the gasser in for another diesel. I plan on getting tons of hours out of mine.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a buddy with a 2002 25 Kohler Lazer Z that is just getting to 3,000 hours. He has maintained it very well but the mower is definately showing it's hours. He's starting to tell me that the engine might be getting a little weak and like Runner said above, a lot of the little things are wearing out. He's already replaced the dampeners several times, the deck height adjustment linkage is getting sloppy and it's just a bunch of other little stuff. He'd like to replace it but money is really tight right now so he's going to keep it going as long as he can.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. Found and bought a 99 Dixie Chopper with 900 hrs today, looks and works great for $500. Only problem is the Kohler 20hp engine has a horrible knock in it. I think I can come out OK on this deal.
Any reason why a B&S 20 hp engine I already have can't be adapted fairly easily?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshelton View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Found and bought a 99 Dixie Chopper with 900 hrs today, looks and works great for $500. Only problem is the Kohler 20hp engine has a horrible knock in it. I think I can come out OK on this deal.
Any reason why a B&S 20 hp engine I already have can't be adapted fairly easily?
I don't know if the older Briggs engines are of the universal engine size. Almost all of the current large V-twins (23,25, 26 etc) are interchangable to a degree. They all share the same engine bolt patterns and generally come with 2 shaft sizes. I don't know if that old Briggs does. You should be able to find a decent surplus Kohler or Kawasaki at one of the surplus houses for under $1000 and do that Dixie some justice. Places like www.surpluscenter.com often have those engines for dirt cheap. Here's a brand new 25 HP Kohler for $649. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...atname=engines