Register free!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Magnesium Sulfate

In other terms epsom salt.

I have used it with impressive results. The best results were when I mixed it with a 46-0-0 (feed grade). I ran into a problem though. When I tested it, I mixed then applied right away. When I went to apply it on a large scale I mixed then drove to site an went to apply and... it 'melted'... went kinda jelly and the granules stuck to each other.

Anyone have any experience with this? It wasn't the heat of the day as I have tested it in controlled temps and it still mushes.

Is it the sulfate or magnesium causing the problem? (I just thought to mix urea with 21-0-0 and test but haven't yet)

A side question is, what suppliers do you know that have 50# bags of MgSO4? JDL out here was a no go. I'm just beginning to look into the product.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You created an Anhydrous compound my friend. It absorbed the moisture from the air. Similar to Potassium Nitrate when it is left out.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate MgSO4 7H2O. There is a lot of water in the compound, enough to turn urea into slime. If you mix epsom salts with ammonium sulfate, nothing will happen, as it is not hygroscopic(will not attract water). I do not have the problem of things attracting water when mixed together as all of my fertilizers are sprayed at 2-5 gallons.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use epsom salts on my roses (about a tablespoon each rose/year) with good results, but never needed large quantities, however a friend with an ankle problem was using it as a soak, and I did look on the internet to see if I could find 50lb sacks of the stuff cheap.

What I found was that shipping would completely kill any price break I could find, and that the cheapest source was CVS's 5lb bags. YMMV.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys! That's what I needed to know