Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to hear prices from someone that does 200+ aerations a season. I dont think their prices would be close to $250+. Like the one guy that said he gets $325 for a 1/4 acre you see he only does 4 a season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willretire@40 View Post
How many lawns do you do this service on a year?
I've been getting 250-275 for 1/4 acres since 2005. I charge what Lawn Doctor and Truegreen charge and get it no problem. This is for aeration and seed.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang i need to up my prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I go around $12/K for aeration only here. So for 1/4 acre lawn (10k sq ft of turf), $125ish. Not sure how you guys get double to triple that - must be area where you live. I have to work with small town USA here. I still think I make good $$ at my rate.
Nope no seed straight aeration for the above price. I can't think of a time where I would just broadcast out seed after aerating, chances of that seed sprouting are pretty slim. I would rather sell a renovation pkg then, with aeration, seeding (either broadcast with topdress OR slit seeding), and st. fert.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Nope no seed straight aeration for the above price. I can't think of a time where I would just broadcast out seed after aerating, chances of that seed sprouting are pretty slim. I would rather sell a renovation pkg then, with aeration, seeding (either broadcast with topdress OR slit seeding), and st. fert.
If I was only going to aerate I'd probably charge them around half or less then what I charge with seed and fert.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Mow/dethatch/core aerate/fertilize/overseed....$41/1000sqft some minimums for small yards etc but this is the starting point for me.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Be_Green View Post
All I know is this... In my area the people who quote aeration are crazy.

Seriously, 4 neighbors, plus myself, last year all had their companies quote aeration. All bids came in over $400.00, relatively flat 1/3-1/2 acre lots with anywhere between 10k to 15k of turf to aerate. We even went to two of the companies and asked for a discount based on 5 homes in the neighborhood with no success.

These are people with annual income in the 150k-200+k range. We all balked. Went to rental equipment store, rented an aerator for the day at $85.00, bought 150# of Lesco 50/50 seed for about $180.00 and did it ourselves for $50 a property.

Now with that said, we joked afterwards that running the aerator was more strenuous then we thought it was going to be and we were all sore the next day... but to save $350+each, it was well worth it... $2000 worth of business not had because of high quotes. If they can get it... all the power to them though.

All I'm saying... is keep it real. Good Luck.
How many passes did you make? And how deep did you core? How much fertilizer did you apply?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willretire@40 View Post
Dang i need to up my prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
You know, something I've found out in the 10 years I've been doing this is that sometimes I give a bid and one customer will say, "Dang that's cheap." and the next customer, with almost the exact same job and type and size of property will say, "What?!!! That price is crazy high!" So I've learned to be somewhere in the middle on pricing. I still only get 1 out of 4 bids but at least I know I am probably near market value pricing. And I am taking jobs that are profitable without giving the perception of gouging to my customers.
I just did a tilling job for a casual customer. A 30" strip of hard pack soil about 60' long. Made 2 passes to loosen to 10" deep along a fence. 20 minutes work including loading, unloading, loading again and cleanup of the tiller and put away. (I live close by.) I told them, after doing the work, that the charge was $30.00 + tax. The wife gave me a shocked look and said, "$30.00?". She then called for her husband, who was upstairs. I told her that this was my minimum and that it was a fair price. When her husband came down she said to him, "He only wants $30.00!". He asked if I was sure. I began wondering what the heck was the big deal. Well, it seems they got a quote from another guy, who couldn't do the job till the next day, and his bid was $150.00. I wish I had asked them what they were willing to pay before I did the job. I did leave with the feeling that I had earned a bit of respect and goodwill just by being fair. I made money and they got the job done. And they were very satisfied with the quality of my work too but it still bothers me a little that I left so much money on the table. I guess that's what I get for being honest.
I can't say the other guy was dishonest but I guess that even if they had told me about the other guy beforehand, I still would have charged $30.00 + tax.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Here TruGreen charges $120.00 minimum @ 5,000 sq. ft. -- not even a 1/4 acre. Then $30.00 per 1,000 sq. ft. ... so there... if you can't work with that, then you shouldn't own a lawn care business! G'luck
Old 09-19-2009, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
You know, something I've found out in the 10 years I've been doing this is that sometimes I give a bid and one customer will say, "Dang that's cheap." and the next customer, with almost the exact same job and type and size of property will say, "What?!!! That price is crazy high!" So I've learned to be somewhere in the middle on pricing. I still only get 1 out of 4 bids but at least I know I am probably near market value pricing. And I am taking jobs that are profitable without giving the perception of gouging to my customers.
I just did a tilling job for a casual customer. A 30" strip of hard pack soil about 60' long. Made 2 passes to loosen to 10" deep along a fence. 20 minutes work including loading, unloading, loading again and cleanup of the tiller and put away. (I live close by.) I told them, after doing the work, that the charge was $30.00 + tax. The wife gave me a shocked look and said, "$30.00?". She then called for her husband, who was upstairs. I told her that this was my minimum and that it was a fair price. When her husband came down she said to him, "He only wants $30.00!". He asked if I was sure. I began wondering what the heck was the big deal. Well, it seems they got a quote from another guy, who couldn't do the job till the next day, and his bid was $150.00. I wish I had asked them what they were willing to pay before I did the job. I did leave with the feeling that I had earned a bit of respect and goodwill just by being fair. I made money and they got the job done. And they were very satisfied with the quality of my work too but it still bothers me a little that I left so much money on the table. I guess that's what I get for being honest.
I can't say the other guy was dishonest but I guess that even if they had told me about the other guy beforehand, I still would have charged $30.00 + tax.
And I'll be willing to bet you'll end up getting repeat business from this customer.

I offer the "customers" perspective to this board... I'm a reasonable person. I make good money. I'm willing to pay a premium to have a service offered, but please don't try to screw me. I'm looking to build relationships with people for the long haul. I think most people are in the same boat...

I have a tree guy, for 3 separate jobs, he always bid the lowest. Now, every other year, I don't go out to bid. I call him, say I need a trim, he comes out, speaks with the wife, provides the quote and the work is done sometimes that very day, sometimes the next... Professional group who has earned my respect and business.

My neighbors fert company... Does normal fert applications for $80. He inquires about ridding his yard of yellow nutsedge, they quote him $425.00. $425.00 for what? 20 minutes broadcast spread time and maybe $15.00 worth of Sedge hammer, or whatever herbicide they choose. Granted, maybe this is a special mix that needs to be created. Maybe there is an extra charge for preparing this mix and then cleaning the tanks after this mix... but $425 was sort of steep when they come to his property anyway for the normal fert for $80. Why my neighbor keeps this service... only he knows. His lawn looks like sh!t to boot.