Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2009, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
How many passes did you make? And how deep did you core? How much fertilizer did you apply?
Please see my post there after... We actually spent $97 per property. No fert with this price.... 1 pass with a blue bird 424.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been aerating lawns for 20 years and a lot of lawn companys and homeowners who do their own don't do a thorough job, (overlap each pass, circle trees, hug bed edges, curbs, drives and walks, complete the slopes, double passes on weak turf). All of this takes considerable time and intense labor with a walk behind aerator. I price each lawn based on these factors and I'm usually $20-$30 per 1000ft.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Be_Green View Post
Please see my post there after... We actually spent $97 per property. No fert with this price.... 1 pass with a blue bird 424.
I'm not picking on you but you bawled at a price that was more then fare. Then you go on to tell the professional's on this site that it was priced too high so you and your neighbor's did the job yourself. You didn't do the job correct and had you DID do it correct, it would have cost you all a extra $100 or so per property. The truth finally comes out and the price the LCO gave you was a fare price. I bet your the type that would let someone do work on your property for free and not even offer them anything. I'm sorry, you'd probably offer them a glass of water then charge them for ice to make it cold.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

NOt to hijack this thread but I'm hoping that my work has not been a waste...I overseeding a week ago (cut lawn to 2 in b4 aerating, aerate 3 passes, spread seed, and fertilized) and I know I need to wait a while for it to germinate. My question is I'm nervous my existing lawn is growing where it may be crowding out the seed? I feel that even if teh seed comes through I won't be able to see it because the existing lawn is coming back rather thick? I'm I goign to be ok to continue water twice a day and wait for the seed to germinate? I'm in Upstate ny so the temps have been cool.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I'm not picking on you but you bawled at a price that was more then fare. Then you go on to tell the professional's on this site that it was priced too high so you and your neighbor's did the job yourself. You didn't do the job correct and had you DID do it correct, it would have cost you all a extra $100 or so per property. The truth finally comes out and the price the LCO gave you was a fare price. I bet your the type that would let someone do work on your property for free and not even offer them anything. I'm sorry, you'd probably offer them a glass of water then charge them for ice to make it cold.
Waaa Waaa Waaa... You've read me like a book... I've got that cold glass of water waiting for you (no ice)
Old 09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
And I'll be willing to bet you'll end up getting repeat business from this customer.

I offer the "customers" perspective to this board... I'm a reasonable person. I make good money. I'm willing to pay a premium to have a service offered, but please don't try to screw me. I'm looking to build relationships with people for the long haul. I think most people are in the same boat...

I have a tree guy, for 3 separate jobs, he always bid the lowest. Now, every other year, I don't go out to bid. I call him, say I need a trim, he comes out, speaks with the wife, provides the quote and the work is done sometimes that very day, sometimes the next... Professional group who has earned my respect and business.

My neighbors fert company... Does normal fert applications for $80. He inquires about ridding his yard of yellow nutsedge, they quote him $425.00. $425.00 for what? 20 minutes broadcast spread time and maybe $15.00 worth of Sedge hammer, or whatever herbicide they choose. Granted, maybe this is a special mix that needs to be created. Maybe there is an extra charge for preparing this mix and then cleaning the tanks after this mix... but $425 was sort of steep when they come to his property anyway for the normal fert for $80. Why my neighbor keeps this service... only he knows. His lawn looks like sh!t to boot.
First off, his knowledge is worth something. Do you know how hard it is to get a pesticide license? Do you know how much insurance costs for this? Do you know how much time and money it takes to get schooled in the proper methods and safety for the LCO and the customer? No? I didn't think so.
Now to jump ahead, you might as well have left the aerator at the rental center. One pass is not enough. Did you do the hard stuff, like in corners and any tight places? And what good was any aerating without fert? The whole purpose is to allow the roots to be able to receive the nutrients and water to survive.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
First off, his knowledge is worth something. Do you know how hard it is to get a pesticide license? Do you know how much insurance costs for this? Do you know how much time and money it takes to get schooled in the proper methods and safety for the LCO and the customer? No? I didn't think so.
Now to jump ahead, you might as well have left the aerator at the rental center. One pass is not enough. Did you do the hard stuff, like in corners and any tight places? And what good was any aerating without fert? The whole purpose is to allow the roots to be able to receive the nutrients and water to survive.
Quote:
First off, his knowledge is worth something. Do you know how hard it is to get a pesticide license?
1. Obtain training material for both CORE and Category 3b-Turf
a. Commercial Applicator – CORE Pesticide Training Manual – $30.00
b. Commercial Category – Landscaping; Ornamental, Turf & Interior Plantscape Pest Control – $30.00

STUDY… STUDY… STUDY…

2. Attend a “Basic Pesticide Applicator Training Course” $95.00

3. Attend “Category 3B – Turf” Training Course $135.00

4 Submit the Core Certification Exam Application w/ Proof of completion of the “Basic Pesticide Applicator Training Course”

6. Submit the Category 3B Exam Application

STUDY… STUDY… STUDY…

7. Take and Pass both the Core and Category 3b Exams receive Full Certification

Quote:
No? I didn't think so.
You assume too much and you may or may not know what happens when people assume.

Quote:
Again, you assume too much. Have you seen my turf? Do you know my fert schedule? Do you have the soil test results? Is my soil compacted? Do I have a thick layer of thatch? When was the last time I had my lawn de-thatched? Aerated? Fert Application? Without this, you cannot possibly know what my turf needs.

Get off your high horse buddy… You can’t make such general statements to back up a quote.

Residential turf maintenance is not rocket science. I let my turf speak for itself…
Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
1. Obtain training material for both CORE and Category 3b-Turf
a. Commercial Applicator – CORE Pesticide Training Manual – $30.00
b. Commercial Category – Landscaping; Ornamental, Turf & Interior Plantscape Pest Control – $30.00

STUDY… STUDY… STUDY…

2. Attend a “Basic Pesticide Applicator Training Course” $95.00

3. Attend “Category 3B – Turf” Training Course $135.00

4 Submit the Core Certification Exam Application w/ Proof of completion of the “Basic Pesticide Applicator Training Course”

6. Submit the Category 3B Exam Application

STUDY… STUDY… STUDY…

7. Take and Pass both the Core and Category 3b Exams receive Full Certification

You assume too much and you may or may not know what happens when people assume.

Again, you assume too much. Have you seen my turf? Do you know my fert schedule? Do you have the soil test results? Is my soil compacted? Do I have a thick layer of thatch? When was the last time I had my lawn de-thatched? Aerated? Fert Application? Without this, you cannot possibly know what my turf needs.

Get off your high horse buddy… You can’t make such general statements to back up a quote.

Residential turf maintenance is not rocket science. I let my turf speak for itself…
Oh boy. Maybe you should go to Sears, get yourself a Crapsman mower and start your own business. You know it all.

And you made a comment about your neighbor's nutsedge problem. You can't make just one application to get rid of it. It is an ongoing process to get rid of Nutsedge. And you have to know the right time to apply for maximum effectiveness. Kill the sprouts at the wrong time and you just compound the problem.
And yes, soil tests are essential but making 2 passes has nothing to do with how compacted the soil is. If it's compacted enough to need aeration then it is compacted enough to make at least 2 passes.
There are so many other factors to this business that I don't have the time here to list them. Good bye.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32 View Post
Experienced guys. Let me ask you. Do you think there just might be a correlation between our industry's poor image with some people and the fact that we have thousands of guys who haven't got sufficient experience running around trying to be in the lawn business? You think that might affect how customers see YOU and how YOUR ability to charge a good price is diminished?

I'm all for charity......For the needy and helpless. However, this guy and others like him aren't helpless. They are perfectly capable of hiring on with someone to learn the trade. One clue you're ready for self-employment in a field might be things like knowing what people charge for stuff in your field!

The next time you feel like starting a thread about how hard it is to find "good help" these days, you might consider the fact that ANY industry would have a hard time finding help if the entry level position was "business owner". Just imagine if restaurants and dry cleaners were run like that. "Sorry about your suit being ruined sir, but the guys at "drycleanersite.com" told me everything I know".

This guy can skip working for you because you are here giving him the benefit of all your years of experience for free. I learned what to charge for aerations because I worked for someone else doing aerations! I knew from that:

a) how long it takes
b) how much longer it takes on sloped lots
c) how much harder lawns with numerous obstacles and turns take
d) how hard it is relative to just mowing lawns
e) the difference in a good job and simply running a machine a few times over a lawn.
f) what it cost by simply observing what my boss charged.

It's one thing to help someone out answering a question here. It's another when people start showing up in droves with nothing more to say or offer than "tell me what to do".

Somewhere along the line, in their dreams filled with dollar signs and early retirement, these guys forgot one important thing. You have to actually learn about what you're doing. I have noticed that while they get very excited about sales and marketing, truck lettering and shiny new equipment, they don't seem too interested at all in going out and learning the trade itself. They hope a few hours spent trolling posts here will suffice.
Well, after 17-18 years of it, I still learn new things. But unless I'm teaching an employee so he can help make me more money, I am not sure why I'd hand out that hard-earned knowledge for free.

If he's like most, you will reply "About $75 for a small lawn" and he will go out and print up 5,000 flyers saying "any lawn aerated, $65". Get it?

Then again I must be a sucker, I actually paid for a university course on turf.

Sums it up, these idiots seem to not know what a business plan is, it's where you figure in what you will charge based on YOUR expenses and what you need to earn for a living. I just don't understand why you [lawn jockey lowballers] would come on here to ask for help that the LCO's on here have worked their ass off to figure out for themselves.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
All I know is this... In my area the people who quote aeration are crazy.

Seriously, 4 neighbors, plus myself, last year all had their companies quote aeration. All bids came in over $400.00, relatively flat 1/3-1/2 acre lots with anywhere between 10k to 15k of turf to aerate. We even went to two of the companies and asked for a discount based on 5 homes in the neighborhood with no success.

These are people with annual income in the 150k-200+k range. We all balked. Went to rental equipment store, rented an aerator for the day at $85.00, bought 150# of Lesco 50/50 seed for about $180.00 and did it ourselves for $50 a property.

Now with that said, we joked afterwards that running the aerator was more strenuous then we thought it was going to be and we were all sore the next day... but to save $350+each, it was well worth it... $2000 worth of business not had because of high quotes. If they can get it... all the power to them though.

All I'm saying... is keep it real. Good Luck.
This is as dumb as me asking my fav restaurant to charge me 9.95 for a 16 oz steak. I could go on for an hour as to how how ignorant your post is.......