Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie design up for review and suggestions

I am not an irrigation designer but enjoy learning as much as I can about other crafts. I have read this site for weeks now and also Jess Stryker's tutorial web site (man, there is a ton of information on there!). With all of this knowledge and a $30 one month subscription to Pro Contractor Studio 1 irrigation software I have come up with a design.

I live in Seabrook, TX (just south of Houston) and my soil type is clay. Given that and my desire to design an efficient system I have chosen to us the MP Rotators exclusively (except for the Netfim in the landscape garden). The house had an existing sprinkler system but it wasn't very good and hasn't worked in 5 years (and a pool has been put in since). I have found the main line from the 5/8" water meter (line is 3/4" schedule 40) and will use this line and the existing Febco backflow preventer. From the backflow device the line is 1" sch 40 and I have found the line (tracing with a used Ebay 521 valve locator) that goes under the double wide driveway (whew!). So everything in black (mainline and BFP) will be re-used. Everything else is new.

Here is my design. Any suggestions?

Yard Irrigation.pdf

Legend.pdf
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

One more thing....I have measured my static pressure and it varies from 48 psig (lowest measured) to 58 psig (highest measured). I am assuming the variation is dependent on demand from the water main in neighborhood.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So do you make a good pizza too?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
So do you make a good pizza too?

That is all you have? Get the hell out of the little girls forum and rejoin the real world
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

make sure the backflow is "up-to-code"

handles are not rusted off, dirt away from the bottom of the device. if any of those conditions are present and cannot be remedied, then you will need to install a wye strainer, and isolation valve before the backflow.

redo the angle to the landscape bed to the right of the house (as it appears on plan). too acute of an angle and the radius isnt eye catching. design looks very good. what is the width of parkway? if it is 48" or below, you will need to do drip irrigation instead of sprays. (per new state regs).

also, change the archof the heads new the shed, and spray away from the shed as well. no sense in rotting out the shed prematurely.

designs looks good though.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not liking it very much. A few reasons .........

1) Too much over spray onto hardscape and buildings

2) The whole West side of the house is not good at all. This includes both pipe and sprinkler layout

3) The side strips on the East side might work, but once again over spray and pipe layout.

4) You have some serious coverage issues in almost all locations, and my gut feeling is your DU will stink.

5) Having serious doubts about your hydrozones.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Software has made design work too easy. In the good old days we went to the site. Took notes and designed a system that reflected the real world situation. Now any joe blow can be a designer with no real irrigation experience.

Nice design just an opinion by an old grump.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sidewalk strips on a corner property are a pain. Much better when you can just overspray the walk.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a sweet looking design. Lots of fun numbers to play with.

You spelled "brick" wrong.

Try to curtail some of the overspray. Lots of sprinklers up against hardscapes. Try sub-surface, its glorious.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

FIMCO-MEISTER - Software does make it easier but I would not be where I am on my first design attempt if it was not for this site and guys like you.

John, good suggestion for not spraying at the shed. I am going to turn these around and spray away from shed. Thanks. The strip is 68" at its minimum so I guess I won't be forced to do the drip. However, I do like the idea of drip but just not sure how to install it yet. These strips got heavy chinch bug damage this year (along with drought damage) and I am thinking of re-sodding. Do I just lay it down after I have removed the old grass, prepared the soil (along with testing soil and tilling, etc), and then lay the sod on top of the Netafim when I install the new sod?