Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Where Is the Biggest Bagging Areas?
North East 12 46.15%
South 5 19.23%
Midwest 5 19.23%
West 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What Areas Of The Country Bag The Most?

With all the discussion about to bag or not to bag, I was wondering what parts of the country bag the most? Not just fall cleanup, but regular season grass collection.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Southern Thickness and Customer Preference

The grass down here in Birmingham, AL is hard NOT to bag at times. If you have a good mulching system on whatever you are running and have some good blowers you can get by but alot of people here prefer bagging. Varying Zoysia grasses is probably the reason for it I guess, homeowners almost have to bag so they think that it's that way with commercial services. I guess what i'm saying is that it is still hard to mulch here at times but it is entirely possible, the customers sometimes just get in the way haha.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerfb View Post
The grass down here in Birmingham, AL is hard NOT to bag at times. If you have a good mulching system on whatever you are running and have some good blowers you can get by but alot of people here prefer bagging. Varying Zoysia grasses is probably the reason for it I guess, homeowners almost have to bag so they think that it's that way with commercial services. I guess what i'm saying is that it is still hard to mulch here at times but it is entirely possible, the customers sometimes just get in the way haha.
It is the exact same way here too. I could get by mulching/discharging 90% of my accounts but that never is the case. Most of my customers think that since their old crapsman lawn tractor can't mulch well, it means that my mowers won't mulch well and I need to bag the grass. Its like the customer thinks they know more than me, the professional.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it is a tough pill to swallow when the customer insists they know more than the pro....that's why I like to know when they are at work so I can mow how I want and they can't tell the difference!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as which region has the most "needed" bagging, I still think the South wins, I've mowed in the midwest, northeast and run my company here in the south and the south has bar-none the toughest turf to cut. I agree to disagree tho!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hawaii. Most fine turf consisting of a single species and cultivar of warm season turf is bagged or more correctly mowed with catchers in place on the reel units. Even the rubbish lawns consisting of goosegrass and paspalum are bagged.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Hawaii. Most fine turf consisting of a single species and cultivar of warm season turf is bagged or more correctly mowed with catchers in place on the reel units. Even the rubbish lawns consisting of goosegrass and paspalum are bagged.
Totally forgot about Hawaii, that is probably the only place I've ever seen with grass tougher than ours here in the South, and much worse from what I could tell just by looking. Playd in the Hawaii Bowl in 04, best trip of my life.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rotary mowers are mostly used on rough areas, parks and industrial/commercial grounds. Not so much on home lawns. If someone is paying to have their grass cut, they expect their lawn to look like the fairways at Augusta. That means a reel mower, catcher and height of cut less than an inch. Coming onto this forum is a bit of a shock to me. I would never imagine running a rotary on a fine lawn. Much less not bagging cuttings. Then again, that kind of mow job looks hideous on hybrid bermuda, hybrid zoysia or seashore. It also guarantees the lawn that cost $10 per sq ft to install, reverts to wild vegetation and brush. Cutting low with a reel mower and collecting clippings helps to ensure the sod installed remains that species.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738