Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Cleaning up leaves in rocks.

Here is my question. I live in the desert and have desert landscaping. As such I have this tree that produces long hair like leaves that are fine and long. They fall from the tree and get stuck in the rocks. A leaf blower and rake works decently for the small rocks but I have a rock built stream that runs through the lawn (dry stream now ). I need a solution for picking these up without having to dismantle the whole deal. Perhaps there is a disolving chemical that can turn them to mulch or such. Love to hear suggestions!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm... a dissolving chemical that turns to mulch surely must have a place and time, but I doubt that you would want that in your dry stream bed. Maybe in the right place at the right time someone could burn the leaves from the stream bed and then blow the ashes away.

But, I think that you've tried the first choice, which is to try to blow the leaves out from the rocks, which may only be as successful as what your blower is able to provide. Obviously, more powerful blowers can dislodge stubborn objects out of rocks and crevices easier than other weaker models. If you've been trying to use an electric or handheld blower, then perhaps a backpack blower might do the trick for you, and surely if you could test one out for an afternoon that certainly would answer that question. Or... you could hire a landscaper to clean up the area and watch to see what he uses.

Your other option could be to use a Shredder Vac/Blower, such as the Stihl SH 56 or SH 86. I'm typically not a big fan of handheld blowers, but I do like the shredding vacuuming capabilities that these provide. These gas blower/vacs do a decent job of sucking up and shredding leaves from rocks fairly nicely, and generally by working the vac tube around the rocks you can dislodge stubborn leaves. If you would consider getting one of these shredder vac/blowers, let me just suggest that you make sure it has a metal impeller blade. Some standard blower vacs do have vac attachments, but the debris is chopped up through the machines plastic fan... and plastic breaks. Also, make sure the vacs output debris tube that runs into the cloth collection bag isn't going to easily wear through the bag from handling or setting the machine down, which I've experienced.

Last option, if you're married, just nudge your mate and then point to the leaves in the rocks. Sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn't.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

lvclix,
I have a problem similar to yours. I use a very old IDC blower/shredder vac like Crital Care suggests and it works very well for me.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep..have same problem too...leaves getting stuck in river rocks....I use a blower/vac to suck them out..works good but worst are when a part of the leaf..usually the stem gets wedged in good between the rocks...PITA..
Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjammin View Post

NICE!!!! Must use a lot of gas though....2 stroke or 4??
Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
NICE!!!! Must use a lot of gas though....2 stroke or 4??
Those work best with 4 stroke (no oil) fuel when clearing leaves, 2 stroke mix when fogging out insects.