Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

cheap replacement engine for Snapper Pro Hydro walk behind

I blew up the engine (Kawa FC420V) on my walk behind. Before shelling out $600+ for a new engine, I was thinking of buying a used riding mower cheap such as craigslist, and removing the engine. I know I will need full-pressure lubrication and an alternator than can support an electric PTO clutch. Are there any other issues with doing this?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is your Snapper set up with electric start ?

Most riding mowers are and it could be a little costly to convert to rope start, Then you would have to re-wire the unit for the different engine.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought about doing this too, but one the main things that I see is that the mufflers go out the bottom of the front, which wouldn't work out, unless you have another muffler that goes up or you want to shell out a lot of money on a muffler on a used engine. But if I were to do this I would probably try to take all the wiring off the rider (without safeties) and wire in the ignition, solenoid, battery etc like they were on the riding mower. Just DON'T buy a Briggs opposed twin engine! lol
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

>>Is your Snapper set up with electric start ?
No, but if I'm going to get a new engine, it's going to be. I'm OK with rewiring, but too old to be pull starting the darn things. The FC420V started well, but it was hard to pull even with the hydro drive belt tension release my dealer rigged for me.

>>try to take all the wiring off the rider
That was my plan too. Thanks for the tip about the bottom muffler.

>>Just DON'T buy a Briggs opposed twin engine!
Why not? I was actually looking at a couple B&S, such as the Intek ones that had pressure lubrication.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprice View Post
Why not? I was actually looking at a couple B&S, such as the Intek ones that had pressure lubrication.

Opposed twin means a L-head engine, Harder to find exhaust for that would clear the frame would be my guess. If you go with a Intek single cylinder there is exhaust for them that doesn't drop below the engine mount base/sump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprice View Post
>>Just DON'T buy a Briggs opposed twin engine!
Well I guess that's a good reason too Restro, but I had in mind the fact that they are complete POSs. You don't have to take my word for it, but they are in fact the worst engines I have ever run into. My dad bought 3 used lawn tractors in a row that all had the SAME Briggs opposed twin, 17, 18.5, and 20.5 hp, but all the same series. One had carb problems, fixed that, then the exhaust valve went and had such hard compression it wouldn't turn over. The next one, 20.5 hp (a fairly new mower, Craftsman, looked very good) broke a rod and ground up and seized up and the whole deal. Then, the last one the starter or something went out, and at that point we just sold them all in a big parts lot. The motors are set up really poorly and you have to rip off the covers and everything to work on anything. I had to work on these, and I would NEVER EVER buy another one of these engines. Like I said don't take my word for it, but don't say you haven't been warned.

Also, I believe Kawasakis have mufflers that come out the sides? Not 100%, but every Kawasaki I've had has had the muffler out the side, so you might want to look for one of those, but they're not very common on tractors. If I were you, I would definitely get a motor with an overhead valve (OHV). They have always been great to me, I've never had an OHV go down on me, only ones without OHV.

I am sort of looking for a motor for my Gravely 36", it had a Kawasaki 460V (not OHV) that went out, I actually bought a used 460V from a guy, mounted it, hooked everything up, and I couldn't get it to run! Finally, after a brand new plug, and a crapload of starting fluid, I got it going, but it smoked like hell and idled like hell, so I got the guy to take it back.

I have a 420V on my eXmark, and love it, then again it has a electric start. So the two engines I am looking for would be the Kaw 420V or the Kohler Command. I currently have 4 Kohler Commands, I have had very few problems, none major. Very reliable motors IMO.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd give some advice that I've learned the hard way. I'll even attach a pic of the piece of crap motors.

Good Luck
Attached Images

'06 Exmark TT 60" Kohler 20hp
'06 Exmark TT 60" Kawasaki 22hp
'04 Ferris 52" Kawasaki 23 hp w/ Trac Vac
'98 Exmark Metro 36" Kawasaki 14 hp
Toro 21" Proline Mowers
Kawasaki Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Shindaiwa LE261 Edger
Stihl KM110 Powerhead with attachments
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I saw this on TulsaEngineWarehouse

"All 422700, 42A700, 42D700 & Similar opposed Twin Cylinders Engines Have Been Discontinued. They did not meet the Federal EPA Standards and are out of production. Short Blocks are also sold out. You will have to repair with individual parts.

Several Customers have successfully repowered there equipment with the Briggs Intek Over Head Valve Style Engines and also the Kohler Command OHV engine. "

The new B&S twins look like V-Twins, not opposed, and per your advice I'll stay away from the opposed, and they wouldn't work anyway with a muffler underneath.

>>I've never had an OHV go down on me
My Kawasaki FC420V was OHV. It broke the rod (It had oil in it, honest, come look at the puddle of oil in my yard where the rod cracked the case)