The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My new site

Here is my new site,
http://oakwoodlandscapeconcepts.web....m/default.aspx

The actual URL will be:

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
^will become active within the next day or so...

Let me know what you think. I want Brutal Honesty!
Chevy

Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

2 things.

under services, landscape services, the *if, is not capitalized.. should be *If

then in the bio about your self Id personally try to reword it to have less "he's" in the description. Other than that it looks great!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Website looks very crisp so to speak, very nice colors also. The logo at the bottom of the page here, I use IE7.0 is scrunched some, take a look into that. Other than that nice site
Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys! slicknick, I fixed the *If and tried to change out as many of the He's as I could. Anything that You guys would add?
Chevy

Old 09-23-2009, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have less personal stuff about yourself in the "about" section, the page is for your company, not you. It's not a dating site, I as a consumer don't really care about you, but I care about what your company has done. The "about" section be a brief history of your business and some highlights of it's best work.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I kinda took the about us as more of a company history. I would like to think there is some value in people making some typr of connection or actually knowing something about the beginning of the company. I do see your poin though. I will definitely add on to it per your suggestions. oh and fyi, I have a girlfriend lol. so the dating site is not needed LOL!
Chevy

Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

One of the better non-professional sites I've seen. Well done. A few notes:

1. The Oakwood logo is very cool (but distorted). Remove it from the footer and put it in your header.
2. Your About Us is a bit cheesy for my preference, but it's OK. You do, however, still have some major proofreading to do. Copy and paste it into Microsoft Word and it will catch a good amount, still other stuff like "with his parents toro walk behind mower" (should be parents' Toro)
3. Client testimonials are always good, maybe put a name underneath each one (like -Maria, Peoria, etc)
4. Make your Title tags look like this: "Oakwood Landscape Concepts, Cary IL - Testimonials". It'll help.
5. Personally, I'd get rid of the "search the web" at the top. people aren't going to use your page to search the web, they're going to use Google. just wasted space and pushes your content further down.

all in all, good job - I design sites for a living, and have seen some disasters. this is well done. best of luck.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspira View Post
One of the better non-professional sites I've seen. Well done. A few notes:

1. The Oakwood logo is very cool (but distorted). Remove it from the footer and put it in your header.
2. Your About Us is a bit cheesy for my preference, but it's OK. You do, however, still have some major proofreading to do. Copy and paste it into Microsoft Word and it will catch a good amount, still other stuff like "with his parents toro walk behind mower" (should be parents' Toro)
3. Client testimonials are always good, maybe put a name underneath each one (like -Maria, Peoria, etc)
4. Make your Title tags look like this: "Oakwood Landscape Concepts, Cary IL - Testimonials". It'll help.
5. Personally, I'd get rid of the "search the web" at the top. people aren't going to use your page to search the web, they're going to use Google. just wasted space and pushes your content further down.

all in all, good job - I design sites for a living, and have seen some disasters. this is well done. best of luck.
Thank you!
1. I really dont know how to change the logo from the header to the footer really, and didnt realize that it was distorted becasue it always appeared fine on my computer. I honestly just copied and pasted it into that section.
2. Yea, I really burned through that section when writing it and tried to go back and catch as much as I could.
3. The testimonials, do you think that is absolutely essential? Those are all from letters I have rtecieved, and kind of wanted to keep people unanymous.
4.How do I do that lol?
5. As far as the search the web aspect, it was something that came with the hosting site.

I really appreciate the compliments, especially from someone of your web site knowledge so to speak. I spent a whole day doing it and for having limited to know knowledge on web site construction, I like to think I didn't do too bad.
Chevy

Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

search bar needs to go somewhere else, it serves no purpose up there at the top left where your main focus should be your logo. Users read in a circular motion down the page starting w/ the logo so top left, top right and middle right are prime real-estate. IMO, your content and header need to be separated - and the search bar needs to go in-between them on the right. You also need to look at consistent spacing through-out the site. I see lots of places where you have one pixel and 3 or 4 pixel borders or margins. This makes things look slightly off, but you don't know why because it's not something that pops out at you. Other than that, looks good.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you could omit the bottom images and logo beneath the contact on the home page. The thumbnails are too small and the rest is redundant, already used above.

Other than that, looks pretty good. Even with that it looks pretty good.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890