Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kaw 2 cycle handhelds...preferred 2 cycle mix

I run all kawasaki 2 cycle line trimmers. I seem to have some trouble with most of them fairly often. The only thing I can think of would be the oil mix. Are there good and bad 2 cycle mixes? I just use some synthetic blend for all mixes. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
I run all kawasaki 2 cycle line trimmers. I seem to have some trouble with most of them fairly often. The only thing I can think of would be the oil mix. Are there good and bad 2 cycle mixes? I just use some synthetic blend for all mixes. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks!
Define some trouble. Please explain.

I had experimented with different oil on my equipment, I really don't observe any different on all my stuffs. Experiment on the gas, I think that might make more of a difference. Particularly avoid the ones with a little sweet ( alcohol) smell. I notice there are difference between smell of different brand. I choose Shell in my area and never give me problem.

If you want to be safe, use pure synthetic oil like Amsoil ( I like the color and smell) or Stihl Ultra etc.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the problems seem to be carb related. Problems starting and also it seems like they get bogged down like the muffler is getting clogged up.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I run premium fuel and Opti-2 in all of my 2 cycle equipment. Never had an issue.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We never had issues until they started putting ethanol in the gas. Gas caps and hoses leaking like crazy, the carbs and filters gummed up.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
Most of the problems seem to be carb related. Problems starting and also it seems like they get bogged down like the muffler is getting clogged up.
I think you should experiment with different brand of gas and use gas better than 87 octane.

I never thought gas is that important until I tried the ready mixed gas ( selling in Sears and other places ). It is supposed to be no alcohol, full synthetic oil. I put it in the Shindaiwa M242 and it could not rev up, it was like there was a limiter on RPM!!! I pour it all out and put back my old mix. Took a few minutes running before I can get the power back!!!!

Then I put those ready mix in my older Echo HC151 and tried it. It ran flaulessly!!! The Echo like the ready mix!!!! Don't ask me why!!! The two behave so differently.

Last edited by Alan0354; 09-25-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try 89 octane from a name brand station such as BP or Shell and use Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1. We use BP 89 & Opti*2 mixed @ 100:1 in everything we sell and service. By everything I mean all 2 stroke and 4 stroke equipment.

Oldtimer
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The oil is not your problem. You may have a problem with bad fuel. But the oil is NOT going to cause a running problem short term.... You could run no oil or old motor oil and it will run great until it does serious engine problems. So either try a good quaility premium fuel without ethanol or look elsewhere for the problem.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also - could be water in the mix (nasty)
(can get in the system one way or another)
Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It seemed like there were a few different opinions. Do you think there is a 2 cycle oil that is better than others? I see oil when I'm shopping at walmart or advanced auto. It says its rated for all 2 cycle mixes. I was thinking that these oils were probably just cheap products but it sounded to me like they might be fine with better gas...

I can't think of the oil I am currently using off the top of my head.