Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: So how would you handle the scenario?
Explain how a new timer is WAY more efficient, easier to use, & pressure him into buying a new one. 8 28.57%
Say, "Holy crap! That thing is a dinasour! Why don't you let me upgrade that controller for you?" 5 17.86%
Say, "Amazing! Does that thing still work?" And see how he responds. 5 17.86%
Say, "Wow. I haven't seen 1 of those for years. It's amazing how long those things last, isn't it?" 7 25.00%
Say nothing. You weren't hired for that reason. You're just there to do what you were called for. 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2009, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quick Poll

How eager are you to upsell???

Here's the scenario; You're at a customer's house doing something unrelated to his controller. Let's say you're installing a new sod lawn for him. Or if all you do is irrigation, let's just suppose he called just to get his backflow device replaced, but nothing else.

While there, you notice the customer has a 15-20 year old controller in the garage. It's not hydrolic. It's not gear driven. But it's barely digital. It has the tiny little screen with just enough room for 2 digits to appear. And there are just a couple of electronic buttons on it. It's old. But he hasn't mentioned anything about it, and in fact, he appears to know how to use it very well and it appears to still work very well. The customers has no complaints and doesn't even mention the controller. Seems totally fine with it.

So given that scenario, answer the poll above......Do you..........

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure as everyone does, I come across this situation all the time.

The worst ones out there are the ones you have to hold buttons down while pressing others and it's a 10 step process to set the time, then you start all over again for everything else. I can't stand them! That and stupid Tbos

I think for me it depends on the situation, I would first analyze the situation. Ie- Male or female, old or young, how long have they lived there, how nice/ rude they are.
Then I would go from there.

I would more then likely recommend a newer controller and state basic facts such as user friendly programming, ability for a better water management ect ect.

At that point depending on how interested they seem I would suggest a ET smart controller.

Here in Washington and in the Greater Seattle area I upsell Rain Sensors all the time. For the most part because our water districts off $100 rebate , which we sell the Irritrol Wireless for $99. So It's a No Brainer.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would always try to fit a compliment into an upsell. The customer might be justifiably proud of having figured out how the old dinosaur works.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I voted #1... but I changed the work "pressure" into "educate him on all of the benifits of changing".

We are not used car salesmen, we are irrigation professionals that offer the best products to everyone. If you walked into the doctor for a tiny scratch, and the doctor noticed a brain tumor... you'd want him to tell you right? Same with an ancient controller:-D
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE...but the controller is the last upgrade. Putting a fancy controller on a cr@ppy system is not my cup of tea. Hold the controller back as a reward for modernizing/water efficitizing the system.

GREATEST TOOL IN THE WORLD FOR SELLING UPGRADES?

You got it remotes.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Putting in new sod or plants is costly. Insure your investment with the comparably small cost of a new controller.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
I voted #1... but I changed the work "pressure" into "educate him on all of the benifits of changing".
I agree. Unfortunately, with polls on lawnsite you have a limit of 100 characters per poll option. So I actually typed out basically what you said and it was way to long. I had to shorten it. But I agree with you. I never "pressure" anyone into anything. I just educate them so much that they feel they'd be stupid not to.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
... Hold the controller back as a reward for modernizing/water efficitizing the system.
Efficitizing???

Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I will really try to push them for a new controller is if it is a regular maintenance account, and my employees are going to be responsible for programming the controller. Otherwise I will just suggest to the client how much happier they would be with a new one and leave it up to them
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

On a residential job, when I come across something like a Hydro Rain HR 6100 I take the opportunity to demonstrate to the customer what happens when the backup battery fails... then sell a new controller with a non-volatile memory...

With an older controller on a commercial job I can sell them on the idea of a new controller with an NVM and a remote control too...