Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

How to bid tree and shrub trimming?

I recently picked a big commercial job and has alot of bushes and trees around the building and alot of mulch to lay down. I have done alot of timming for my residential customers but not on commercial jobs yet. How would I go about setting my bid? How much is the hourly rate or do you guys just set a price by the size?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just bid it like a residential.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you charge for an houly rate on trimming and spreading mulch? I dont really have an hourly rate cus its usually just trimming a couple bushes here and there its not really big jobs. So this is kinda new to me on setting a price for this commercial one.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well what I charge and what you charge are to different things .If I told you I get 80 per yard for mulch and installed you might think that's to high or low. As for tree trimming I wont trim anything over 6 feet high because that puts you into a different insurance category.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Member

If you don't know your hourly rate, you need to figure that first. You need to know your per man per hour cost and then add your overhead and profit and get to that hourly rate you need to be happy.

On trimming, I decide how long it's going to take and how many men. In other words, what's it going to cost me? Then I add that overhead and profit and total the job and decide if it sounds reasonable. Don't forget your dump fees and fuel to and from job if you go multiple days to complete the job. In our area, $35 used to be the going rate for trimming, but now more like $25 is what you'll get. Our labor burden here is about 22 %...

And yes, be careful about the height of the work - another insurance category for worker's comp can blow your budget. And most contractors don't worry about that and take the risk so they bring down our hourly rates we can get.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

How many 3-4' shrubs can you trim in an hour? Is there a per foot charge anyone uses on hedges? I am thinking about maintenance trimming not shaping or anything that required extensive clean up. Thanks.