Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

How does one get better paying accounts when you're still trying to build your business to begin with?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSooner View Post
How does one get better paying accounts when you're still trying to build your business to begin with?
Word of mouth. I've doubled my customer list with just word of mouth. I take lots of pride in my work and it shows. I also help do home interior painting with a friend. When I get to the customers home, I usually have a look around. I've gotten a bunch of regular customers just from that. They like the fact that they already have met me and know me by my first name. They feel more comfortable and trusting once they meet me and have worked inside. Then when we're finishing up the job, I'll talk with them more and let them know that I do full service lawn and landscape maintenance and give them my card. All but 1 of them hasn't called. The others have taken me on to do ALL of their outside maintenance.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHUSTLER View Post
I had a commercial cutter tell me that he does his bids at $1 a minute. I thought he was stupid and then I sat down and figured up some totals, and its really not to far outa line.
I would say its not too far out of line at all. You know they changed things on this site. You used to be able to go back and see all posts ever, now they only go back 1000 posts. If you could, you would see people talking about $1 per minute back in 2001 when I joined this site. No raise in 8 years, and the thread is about raising prices????? I think people are just starting too damn low.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't really matter, one is either too busy and should have raised their prices or they're not busy enough,
but the simple fact is that if someone goes too far over what the market will tolerate, they won't have no work.
Too low is no good, no argument there, but neither is too high.

Cheapos and pitas and BS aside, just talking prime customer material for now.
Right there, first off, there ain't but so many of them kind of customers, folks who got more money
than they know what to do with, the sad truth is there ain't that many of them kind at all.
But there are many fine folks out there, a lot of my customers took pay cuts, many more are working two jobs,
then some more both the wife and the husband work, sorry and yes I have to make a living too but I can NOT charge
these hard working American folks a dime over what it should cost, I just can't do it.

Folks can talk about however much an hour, once again it doesn't matter, if the customer is not willing to pay it, we don't get the job.

And someone can work harder / faster to try and squeak out that extra dollar, I don't care,
we get paid X amount of money for Y amount of labor and that's all she wrote.

Add $5 to a $400 job fine, maybe $10 and even $20 but we ain't getting $800 for it and I don't care who you are,
maybe once in a moon one of us gets away with it but try that crap long term and see what happens.

You can have better equipment than the next guy and get done in 1/2 the time,
yada yada yada, once we stop and add up the upkeep and the cost of the machine,
sure enough it all adds out to the same bottom line all over again.

And while it can be frustrating, I have simply learned to accept this as a fact of life, and a fact of this business,
it's just how it is for me, sucks but it helps to know that it's probably like that for most everyone else too.

The best solution I have found?
Is to nail the price somewhere between too busy and not busy enough, to have just enough work to where I'm
neither sitting around all day nor busting my tail to tears, then all I have to do is make ends meet with what I got,
stop busting my nogging over this problem that's just not going away, instead accept it for what it is and deal with it best I can.

Sorry, grumpy mood lol

Last edited by topsites; 10-25-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone gets TURF magazine part of this thread is published in the back. I was reading TURF and remembered posting something in this thread and sure enough i turned the page and there was my post.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm. Where did they cut off the discussion? Whoever they concluded with MUST know his crap.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Hmmm. Where did they cut off the discussion? Whoever they concluded with MUST know his crap.
Not sure where they cut it off but I think one of your posts was in there because I read one of your posts on there and then read it again on hear. By the way some of your posts in this thread have some great info in them I enjoyed reading them.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Doesn't really matter, one is either too busy and should have raised their prices or they're not busy enough,
but the simple fact is that if someone goes too far over what the market will tolerate, they won't have no work.
Too low is no good, no argument there, but neither is too high.

Cheapos and pitas and BS aside, just talking prime customer material for now.
Right there, first off, there ain't but so many of them kind of customers, folks who got more money
than they know what to do with, the sad truth is there ain't that many of them kind at all.
But there are many fine folks out there, a lot of my customers took pay cuts, many more are working two jobs,
then some more both the wife and the husband work, sorry and yes I have to make a living too but I can NOT charge
these hard working American folks a dime over what it should cost, I just can't do it.

Folks can talk about however much an hour, once again it doesn't matter, if the customer is not willing to pay it, we don't get the job.

And someone can work harder / faster to try and squeak out that extra dollar, I don't care,
we get paid X amount of money for Y amount of labor and that's all she wrote.

Add $5 to a $400 job fine, maybe $10 and even $20 but we ain't getting $800 for it and I don't care who you are,
maybe once in a moon one of us gets away with it but try that crap long term and see what happens.

You can have better equipment than the next guy and get done in 1/2 the time,
yada yada yada, once we stop and add up the upkeep and the cost of the machine,
sure enough it all adds out to the same bottom line all over again.

And while it can be frustrating, I have simply learned to accept this as a fact of life, and a fact of this business,
it's just how it is for me, sucks but it helps to know that it's probably like that for most everyone else too.

The best solution I have found?
Is to nail the price somewhere between too busy and not busy enough, to have just enough work to where I'm
neither sitting around all day nor busting my tail to tears, then all I have to do is make ends meet with what I got,
stop busting my nogging over this problem that's just not going away, instead accept it for what it is and deal with it best I can.

Sorry, grumpy mood lol
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your my new HERO!
HONDA
ECHO
STIHL
PRECISION
GOLDEN BOY
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott View Post
I would say its not too far out of line at all. You know they changed things on this site. You used to be able to go back and see all posts ever, now they only go back 1000 posts. If you could, you would see people talking about $1 per minute back in 2001 when I joined this site. No raise in 8 years, and the thread is about raising prices????? I think people are just starting too damn low.
I agree. What people should do is figure up their NET profit at the end of the year and estimate how many hours they spend on anything related to their business. I bet they are making minimum wage or less(if you are charging $25 to $35 per hour) and I bet their net is around the poverty line for one person. Poverty line is between $14,000 and $15,000. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml
You don't need to ask anybody if you should raise your prices if you do the above. If your area won't support higher prices then there are alternative businesses and jobs out there. Because your future in lawn care is very dim. You have no retirement. No extra money for investments. NO money for Health care etc
So sit down and crunch the numbers.Annual Gross income minus fuel, parts insurance, milleage$$, equipment, advertising etc...
Hopefully you married a money lady. Hang on to her like your life depended on it

Last edited by Charles; 10-28-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Hopefully you married a money lady. Hang on to her like your life depended on it
Because at some point it probably will.