Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerating Cemetery question

I've recently been hired at a cemetery with a bunch of turf problems. Two things I know for sure at this point is they have thatch problems and soil compaction. I was hoping starting a aeration program would help solve these problems but I'm not sure what type of aerator would work best. Obviously you can't run over the numerous flat stones with a aerator, so I'm thinking we need some type of walk behind machine thats fairly easy to control like a mower. Any of you pros have any suggestions? Money isn't a problem either. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNatural View Post
Obviously you can't run over the numerous flat stones with a aerator, so I'm thinking we need some type of walk behind machine thats fairly easy to control like a mower.
The easiest to use walk behind aerator BY FAR is the Lawn Solutions. It is easier to use than a self propelled push mower.

Another idea is that Turfco has a split drive aerator that is 28" and might be a viable alternative. It has a sulky that you can put on it called the "chariot". The only advantage the Turfco has over the Lawn Solutions is that they have a bigger machine with a sulky.... usability wise the Lawn Solutions is still MUCH easier to use.

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Right View Post
The easiest to use walk behind aerator BY FAR is the Lawn Solutions. It is easier to use than a self propelled push mower.

Another idea is that Turfco has a split drive aerator that is 28" and might be a viable alternative. It has a sulky that you can put on it called the "chariot". The only advantage the Turfco has over the Lawn Solutions is that they have a bigger machine with a sulky.... usability wise the Lawn Solutions is still MUCH easier to use.
I beleive you can put a sulkey on lawn solutions to
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell you that doing a cemetery with the TurnAer 6 works / worked well. We have participated in the Renewal and Rememberance day at Arlington in DC for a number of years. We have taken theTurnaer 6 with Chariot as it is perfect for use in that enviroment. With a Chariot it is easy to handle in tight places even when you are riding. Because you have individual disc brakes on each side for truning and stopping quick. The spring lift is also nice when you are on the chariot and need to get it out of the ground quick. The Lawn Solutions unit is a very hard manual lift. Not conducive to ride behind use. At Arilington they have the headstones just the right width for 3 passes between each row of stones. You just set up a rolling oval and keep aerating never having to stop. You just keep aerating at 5 mph till you are done. You can see then at Turfco.com or call 1-800-679-8201 and get a DVD sent to you. There is some kind of special going on right now.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=turfcobob;3200799]I can tell you that doing a cemetery with the TurnAer 6 works / worked well. We have participated in the Renewal and Rememberance day at Arlington in DC for a number of years. We have taken theTurnaer 6 with Chariot as it is perfect for use in that enviroment. With a Chariot it is easy to handle in tight places even when you are riding. Because you have individual disc brakes on each side for truning and stopping quick. The spring lift is also nice when you are on the chariot and need to get it out of the ground quick. The Lawn Solutions unit is a very hard manual lift. Not conducive to ride behind use. At Arilington they have the headstones just the right width for 3 passes between each row of stones. You just set up a rolling oval and keep aerating never having to stop. You just keep aerating at 5 mph till you are done. You can see then at Turfco.com or call 1-800-679-8201 and get a DVD sent to you. There is some kind of special going on right now.[/QUOTE.
The lawn solutions machine is a much better choice, once you use one you will not buy any other walking aeration machine period. Hydro is the best nothing else compares. Other manufactures are so way behind compared to lawn solutions. Turfcos selling point is saying manual lift is hard, lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=RABBITMAN11;3200817]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
I can tell you that doing a cemetery with the TurnAer 6 works / worked well. We have participated in the Renewal and Rememberance day at Arlington in DC for a number of years. We have taken theTurnaer 6 with Chariot as it is perfect for use in that enviroment. With a Chariot it is easy to handle in tight places even when you are riding. Because you have individual disc brakes on each side for truning and stopping quick. The spring lift is also nice when you are on the chariot and need to get it out of the ground quick. The Lawn Solutions unit is a very hard manual lift. Not conducive to ride behind use. At Arilington they have the headstones just the right width for 3 passes between each row of stones. You just set up a rolling oval and keep aerating never having to stop. You just keep aerating at 5 mph till you are done. You can see then at Turfco.com or call 1-800-679-8201 and get a DVD sent to you. There is some kind of special going on right now.[/QUOTE.
The lawn solutions machine is a much better choice, once you use one you will not buy any other walking aeration machine period. Hydro is the best nothing else compares. Other manufactures are so way behind compared to lawn solutions. Turfcos selling point is saying manual lift is hard, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't forget the disc brakes one each side for turning and the longer taller handle for use with a sulky. The unit was designed to pull a chariot sulky from the get go. The brakes are a big plus when turning and the spring loaded lift is a big plus.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=turfcobob;3201119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post

Don't forget the disc brakes one each side for turning and the longer taller handle for use with a sulky. The unit was designed to pull a chariot sulky from the get go. The brakes are a big plus when turning and the spring loaded lift is a big plus.
Nothing compared to hydro powered, like a model t compared to a Lexus
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=RABBITMAN11;3201123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post

Nothing compared to hydro powered, like a model t compared to a Lexus
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll run circles around your unit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am looking into both machines but I'm leaning towards the Lawn solution models. We also have three fairly large fields with no stones in them so a three point hitch tow behind model would do well there. The stander Turf solution model looks pretty sweet but I'm sure its probable double the price of the walk behind model. I said money wasn't a problem but I think anything over say four grand might be out of reach. Anybody know how much that Lawn solution stander aerator goes for? I believe i was told the walk behind model runs about $3,200.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNatural View Post
Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am looking into both machines but I'm leaning towards the Lawn solution models. We also have three fairly large fields with no stones in them so a three point hitch tow behind model would do well there. The stander Turf solution model looks pretty sweet but I'm sure its probable double the price of the walk behind model. I said money wasn't a problem but I think anything over say four grand might be out of reach. Anybody know how much that Lawn solution stander aerator goes for? I believe i was told the walk behind model runs about $3,200.
just ask him...you deal with the man directly i got my quote for the walk behind by pm to him..i believe his lawnsite id is lawnsolutionscp...nice guy..and you ar correct on the price of the walk behind