Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2000, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,<p>Just wanted to see how you guys deal with wet days/weeks and paver jobs.<p>I was going to finish a job this weekend, but the rain has stopped my plans. My base is set and all I have to do is screed the stone dust now, but I have had bad experiences with wet stonedust/sand in the past.<p>It will clear up some tomorrow, but the stonedust will not dry out by then, so I guess I am on hold till monday now. <p>Was wondering if any of you screed/set pavers when the site is wet? Everything seems to get real messy (especially me) and nothing seems to work well.<p>Also, was wondering if your cover up/tarp jobs that are not finished when it rains. Many times, I get pavers laid but do not get to cut in the job, and will tarp the area to keep it dry. I did a job once where the pavers got wet before it was all cut in and compacted, and when I did compact it, the area got 'spongy'. I alway feel a bit of comfort in having the job at least all cut in and ready for compaction/sanding if rain is coming.<p>Just seeing how you guys handle rain and pavers.<p>steveair
Old 07-15-2000, 09:52 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Steveair, We tarp our jobs most time, also don't sand or stone dust any more than you can lay and compact in a day, that way your bedding will be right.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 07-16-2000, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually tarp it if the forecast calls for rain. We've been lucky this year, have been able to finish our projects before a rain came and didn't need to tarp.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Wet Sand / Wet Conditions

To rehash an old thread -

I have the aggregate (crushed limestone) prepared/packed and it rained (a lot) this morning.

I also use a layer of weed block fabric over the limestone directly under the sand. I spread that over the limestone yesterday.

I have a pile of wet sand now and wet limestone base and fabric.

Can I use that wet sand as the paver base (screeded 1") or do I need to wait until the sand (and everything else) is dry?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

As a preemptive followup - I won't add the polymeric sand until everything's 100% dry - I'm just talking above about the base sand being wet.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If we had to wait for dry sand we sure wouldn't get much work done during 8 months of the year!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Pavers in wet conditions - squishy

I laid pavers yesterday in dry conditions then it rained before I had a chance to apply the polymeric sand. They're squishy this morning. Will they / the sand underneath firm up as it dries?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

probably not
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

For the sake of posterity - they seem fine. The sand base was wet (from rain the day or so before) when I applied the polymeric sand. A month later and they're firm.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let it dry. Next time if you cant finish before the rain comes bring a couple pallets and lay some plywood on top of it. Dump the sand on the plywood and tarp it really good. Tarp the crushed base as well.