Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2000, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of our commercial customers has several clusters of pines with low-hanging branches that drive us nuts when mowing. Tired of getting needle pricks in the head when riding my Z-Master, I'm going to cut out beds around them, prune the low branches and mulch underneath. Anyhow, short of using a spade what do you guys recommend for edging the sod around the trees? <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
Old 07-09-2000, 09:40 PM
Lawnsite Addict

We edge our beds with a spade, but for larger jobs a sod cutter would work faster<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 07-10-2000, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a sod cutter is definately the way to go. If you have a lot of rings the rental time will easily be justified in labor and a sore back. Plus disposal is easier. A bed trencher will also help establish wonderful rings after you clear away the grass.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 07-10-2000, 07:51 PM
bill phagan

be careful using a sod cutter due to the root system.....suggest edging out the ring, then apply Roundup. The grass will compress in about 7 days and ready for mulch if you wish.<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.
Old 07-10-2000, 08:03 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Bill, I would agree with you but for the low hanging branches that he talked about, any drift or evaporation under the pines will cause them stress or worse. The root systems of pines should be deep enough that a sod cutter will not harm them.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 07-10-2000, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Paul, i've got Norway spruce that have roots very close to and above the grass line
Old 07-10-2000, 09:41 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Baldecutter, spruce and pines are two different plants. They have different root systems,your Norway spruce will have roots closer to the surface if there is no or little top soil if moisture can't get deep. Pines have smaller root systems, most times just three to four large roots leading to smaller branch roots, where as spruce have a more fibrous root system with many large roots that don't go as deep as pines. Most nurseries here are root pruning their pines to increase the root system. This helps build a more compact root system and also helps in preping the plant for moving. My feeling on this is a sod cutter properly used will not harm the plant, if you have roots that are exposed you should have no problem with the sod cutter, using round up or other herbicides near the pines stillcan cause problems. If in doubt use a spade that way you can feel the root system and stop cutting away the sod.<p>----------<br>paul<br>