Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl FC 95 4 Mix Edger Review

I recently purchased a Stihl FC 95 4 Mix Edger. I paid retail which is $429.99. I've had the edger for about 2 weeks now. It replaced a Stihl FC 75 edger that I bought new in 2000.

The Good:

It appears to only be sipping gas. It uses a little less gas then the edger it replaced.

It clearly has more torque than the edger it replaced. I had a chance to do a edging job that hadn't been done in years. This edger just plowed right through the thick overgrown grass like it wasn't even there. I like that aspect of it.

The Bad:

This edger is a pig. At over 15 pounds it is entirely too heavy to be carrying around from spot to spot to do edging.

It doesn't spin the edger blade fast enough either. I like a nice crisp edge and this edger is leaving a lot of grass behind. It digs the trench well enough but it won't trim the grass. My FC 75 did a great job at this.

The debris flap and supporting structure is way too big. They put 2 pieces of metal along the length of the bottom of the flap to keep it in a straight line. Those strips of metal also keep the flap from bending. If you have a situation where the grass is higher than the concrete being edged the flap won't bend out of the way easily. The flap support is also in the way big time. I couldn't actually get past some of the grass using this edger without fighting with it. I never, ever had this problem with my old edger. I have resorted to removing the 2 strips of metal and cutting the flap support down so it's no longer in the way.

Conclusion:

If you do a lot of edging that hasn't been done in a while and don't mind hacking on a brand new edger then buy this one.

If you're looking for an edger that you can use straight out of the box and it leaves a fine crisp edge then look elsewhere. I won't buy another one.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good to know. My old Stihl is starting to show its age...
Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

On the good you forgot to mention------Blades last longer because it turns less than half the speed of the curved, [but this one of the reasons the cut is not as crisp]

On the bad I feel you forgot to mention---------because the way the edger gearbox is set up it is harder to get in some tight areas and some areas that the curved will get the straight will not.

The gator style edger blades will help the cut and clean out the trench, downside is the cost. I ordered a box of 50 from express mower parts but they were still over double of the regular.

I have the 90 and 95 and use both of them it really depends on what the situation is. I have a apartment complex that I generally always use the 95 on because I do not get the shimmy/shakes in tough areas and I can just use one blade. On the 90 I will have to change blades before I am through but I need about a 1.5 tanks of fuel on both.

I have been real interested in the Redmax straight shaft, but I cannot find out the blade RPM's on these, and yes I have left a E-Mail on their website twice asking about this.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had basically all the same problems thast you described when I used to use a KM-90R with straight shaft edger attachment(same engine your edger has). I love Stihl but the straight shaft edgers are crap IMO. The main problem with me was exactly what you describe, it digs a trench but doesn't trim the grass. I switched to a FC 90 over a year ago and it is much better. Lighter, easier to use, and leaves a razor sharp perfectly straight edge.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've got the FS110R 4mix with an edger attachment.

Took awhile for me to learn how to properly use it. That flap actually helps when I'm edging sidewalks that haven't seen an edger for some time. What I do is go forward about one stride's worth, then pull it back and work it back and forth. You'll probably have to get down and pull the edged sod away too, especially if it's overgrown.

I've got an account that I edge that is combined over 1 mile and it has been working flawlessly for almost two seasons.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i agree on all counts-mine only comes out for tough jobs
Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of the unmodified head.

Here's the modded head.

I also unshrouded the choke knob. That was a pain having to reach in there to turn the choke.

Are these new "ergonomically" designed and safety minded offerings from Stihl getting to be a bit much? It reminds me of a mower company that's gone over the top on stuff like this (think red).

Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Here's a pic of the unmodified head.

Here's the modded head.

I also unshrouded the choke knob. That was a pain having to reach in there to turn the choke.

Are these new "ergonomically" designed and safety minded offerings from Stihl getting to be a bit much? It reminds me of a mower company that's gone over the top on stuff like this (think red).
removing the strip's a good idea. old post but gotta do something with mine, had enough of that flap after yesterday. was thinking of cutting a vertical slit through the metal up into the mud flap. something so it will give enough and be able to push out of the way (with the receded sidewalks). while i'm at might as well cut the shroud. richard, good post, thanks for the idea's.

Last edited by bare spot; 06-22-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

So The Fc-90 is better oh no? I hear mixed reviews for the straight and curved. I am looking for one that cuts and you do not have to trim over it after edging (right the first time) and ease of use being my first one. I was a trimmer guy going to give an edger a shot. I am pretty sure I will love it though. Thanks for any help/advice. Plus I hear the 95 is $429 and the 90 is $359+tax. There any reliability issues or dependability issues between the two? Right now swaying towards the Fc-90. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
So The Fc-90 is better oh no? I hear mixed reviews for the straight and curved. I am looking for one that cuts and you do not have to trim over it after edging (right the first time) and ease of use being my first one. I was a trimmer guy going to give an edger a shot. I am pretty sure I will love it though. Thanks for any help/advice. Plus I hear the 95 is $429 and the 90 is $359+tax. There any reliability issues or dependability issues between the two? Right now swaying towards the Fc-90. Thanks.
Neither edger is better than the other. They are the same edger except for the shaft and gear case. They do leave 2 different results. The curved shaft is better for weekly work since it spins the blade so much faster. The straight shaft is good for more over grown work. I prefer the curved shaft and have since this review was done, put the curved shaft on my FC95.