Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

HELP!!! SCAG Velocity Plus issue

So. Long story short. I have a Scag Cheetah, used to have Turf Tiger, every time I cut anything more than a half inch of grass there is always uncut grass about a 4-5 in strip just inside of where the blowout tab on the baffle is(slightly left of center) Tiger did it, Cheetah does it. SCAG gave me two different hp Tigers to try, they did it, switched decks, had the rep come to my house, didn't help, spent hours with a service tech, couldn't make it cut better, used high lift, gator and lower lift blades. All SCAG blades. nothing changed. Its even worse with weeds. Even if you go SLOW and the grass is cut there is still a mark in the grass. Seems to be putting cut grass back down on the lawn in that spot. Looks likes another wheel mark. I love the machine, except this cut issue. Another local lawn guy got one and now wants his money back bc of how bad his also cuts. I can mow every three days on a treated lawn and it still leaves this ugly mark. Every possible adjustment has been tried, checked and double checked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

My Scag SWZ walk behind has done that occasionally, it has the 52 advantage. To tell you the truth, I adjusted the pitch to centre and moved one of the spindle spacers from four above the blade to three and two below. This seemed to have dealt with the issue completely. I really began to notice that stripe of grass this year, as its been wet as hell.
HONDA HRS 21
ECHO CVS5
SHINDAIWA T254
SHINDAIWA T242
SHINDAIWA T25
ECHO PAS 266
REDMAX HCS2400
SHINDAIWA EB802RT
ECHO PB500T
ECHO PB2100
SHINDAIWA 695
SHINDAIWA 490
REDMAX 6200AVS
STIHL 024
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of grass? What's your location? What is the deck pitched at?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Beaver Dam Wisconsin, about 15 min from where they are made. Does it in every account I have, treated, non treated, rough lawns, smooth lawns. The deck was pitched at factory specs by Dealer tech when i first took it in for this issue. They even tried diff pitches to see what would happen. The other lawn guy who wants to get rid of his also had rep come to his account and they said they never noticed it before which is odd since they were well aware of my issues the previous year. If you are cutting and stop forward motion, you can keep blades running and back up and there will be a lump of cut grass laying on the lawn in the exact spot the mark / uncut grass is, if you come up pavement or flower beds it will shoot out the front of the deck.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive tried moving the baffle up and down, even took it off. It seems to cut better when you drive backwards, besides leaving a trail of grass. And the trail of grass is where the uncut grass is when you cut in forward motion. With one of the tigers I welded a piece of steel to connect the two blow out tabs on the baffle.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The reverse cut is known and not a big deal (I don't mow backwards). I'm on the mn/wi border and don't have the issue unless the deck has build up from really long/wet grass. My baffle is the middle set. We have it 1/4 pitched not flat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
scag problems